Already off to a bad start

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi all

By now I thought it a good idea to give a report as to how things are doing gardening-wise. The answer is...abysmally

For all intents and purposes, success has been ZERO. In one pot there are a smattering of seedlings from my plant out of peas and other things (based on appearance of sprouts I'd say one pea, two to three grass peas and one or two vetches) and two of the mystery legumes I sprouted are still alive. That's it basically. EVERYTHING else appears to have either rotted or been consumed by the animals (and with regards to the animals, they could come and eat the last sprouts at any time). This time they even got to the pots on the pedestals (which were always a safe space before) and devoured everything there.

So that means no Voatavu beans, probably no mungs, iffy on the adzukis and rice beans (I have just enough seed of the adzukis to re-plant, and there is always a trickle of new rice bean material coming in, but since I see no end to the animals assault the odds of getting anything even if I DO re-plant seem remote.) Dunno if there are any cow peas still in there (I planted a ton, but they seem to have eaten them all). Even the cloches I put up to protect the plants seem not to have worked. I can't see any place where the have been breached, but the plantlets I put under them have disappeared.)

So that leaves me with a lot of dilemmas. I can re-plant the corn, but the odds are it will just all be eaten again. I could start some limas later, but given how long it will be before we get any really hot weather and how soon that weather will end, statistics say none of them will have time to flower or set seed. Still have the wing beans, but as I have never grown them I have no clue as to whether they will take.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
How frustrating! All your hard work! I hope you can get it figured out how to keep your seedlings safe.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
What drives me crazy is that it often takes me YEARS to assemble enough seed to make a good try, and it all gets destroyed in one night.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it sounds like you may have to start things inside so they will get big enough, but you may also still have to put up decent fences.

we're always raided here and the fence is about the only way we get some chance at some crops. others we don't even bother trying to grow any more because of how many animals get them (i.e. raccoons v.s. sweet corn -- we'd need an electric fence to keep them out and a much better fence than what we have)...

sorry it is being so frustrating @Pulsegleaner

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I DO start everything inside. The problem is there is only so big you can grow something indoors before the roots outgrow whatever you put them in, and that size is still nowhere NEAR the "safe size" (when the plant is old enough that there are no longer any cotyledons left on it, and therefore of reduced interest to critters)*.

We have fences and cages too, some huge (you ever tried to cage off an entire cornfield?) . The deer just knock them over and then the other animals follow their lead.

*SOME critters. Now that we have a rabbit problem on top of the squirrel and chipmunk and deer a lot of plants are nibbled to the ground no matter HOW old they get.) And a lot of the damage is done not by anything eating the plants per-se but by things trying to find any worms or grubs they scent (so that merely digging in the soil sets them off) and breaking or chewing through the plants in the process.)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow... that degree of damage is certainly frustrating, especially when the seed being planted is in short supply. It sounds like you are already doing almost everything within reason, and the herbivore population pressure is just overwhelming. It may come down to how much you are willing to spend to protect your growing areas, since stronger fencing, trapping, and eradication are probably the only remaining options. I feel your pain, had all of the same issues in various locations over the years... a combination of fencing and trapping here has held the herbivores down to only occasional damage.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That't actually one of the most frustrating things about it, I CAN'T trap. I'm suburban and the local ordinances prohibit any traps, shooting, or indeed any molestation of the animals whatsoever. Partly from having a suburban viewpoint that squirrels and such are "cute" and partly out of fear of what traps might to do any pets or children that are wandering about. I have a little leeway in deterring them, but as far as actually causing them injury is concerned, their lives and bodies are sacrosanct. And the rules about fencing are pretty strict too (tall heavy fencing is considered an "eyesore" and is discouraged in favor of lighter more open materials or ideally, with open rows of trees to mark borders but still all full entrance and egress of anyone and anything. Or best of all, nothing, to keep the lines of sight completely open.)

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hugs many people don't understand about wildlife in suburban area. A trap or gun will land you in jail yes not slap on wrist but inside of cell. animals never hunted so have no problems walking right up to your house. Then you have the animal lovers who feed them. I posted on a water garden forum once I hated deer, I was ripped a part by animal lovers for just printing that. When i first started gardening I bought a load of lily bulbs and planted them. Because I was new to gardening it almost seemed magical watching them sprout and grew. I would check them everyday both before and after work. When the flowers buds appeared I couldnt wait for them to open, them one morning I came out sure the buds had opened and every lily was eaten :barnie

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That't actually one of the most frustrating things about it, I CAN'T trap. I'm suburban and the local ordinances prohibit any traps, shooting, or indeed any molestation of the animals whatsoever. Partly from having a suburban viewpoint that squirrels and such are "cute" and partly out of fear of what traps might to do any pets or children that are wandering about. I have a little leeway in deterring them, but as far as actually causing them injury is concerned, their lives and bodies are sacrosanct. And the rules about fencing are pretty strict too (tall heavy fencing is considered an "eyesore" and is discouraged in favor of lighter more open materials or ideally, with open rows of trees to mark borders but still all full entrance and egress of anyone and anything. Or best of all, nothing, to keep the lines of sight completely open.)
Same here but I don't always follow the rules. Poison is my weapon of choice, with traps being second. What they don't hear they don't know.

Mary

Latest posts