AMKuska's 2022 Garden

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's that time of year again. :) I went out with my daughter today to get our potting soil, as well as some other goodies like a soil testing kit, a moisture reader, and some rooting hormone. We already had our seeds and seedling pots for the year, so today was our first official planting day.

IMG_20220117_185020.jpg

Today we just planted our peppers for the season. I wasn't planning to do them this year, but someone gave me some hot mats and I thought they might give my peppers enough of a boost to help them. My daughter had a great deal of fun planting them, including busily playing with all the seedling trays, taking her time pushing the dirt into each cup, and then gently patting each seed in one by one.

She particularly liked the darling little signs the seedling pots came with, so we labeled each one and planted the sign on the right peppers. Probably for the best, as I'm trying some Hungarian Hot Wax peppers for my husband and I definitely wouldn't want to confuse them.

We'll plant more bit by bit. :) I must say though, even if every seed fails this year, the marvelous fun my daughter had playing in the dirt was worth it.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
You must have the same pink gro light that I have downstairs!!
Looks pretty creepy...but it works!
Does rooting hormone expire?
There's no expiration date on my jar, with a quick google confirming this is normal and saying many people are using their original jar 5+ years later without a problem.

Somewhere in the depths of my garage is at least one more bottle of it. Couldn't find it so I ended up buying more.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today the kids and I put our scientist coats on and did some soil testing. :) Our pH is neutral which is good, Potash is normal, but it looks like the ground is ready for some compost. Levels of nitrogen and phosphorous are low. I'll layer in my compost and test it again later.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Speaking of chemistry (not one of my favorite subjects) nitrogen in the form plants can use, nitrates and nitrites, is water soluble. That means it can leach out of the soil with water. You are on the wet side so you may have to pay more attention to nitrogen than say someone on your state's eastern border. I run into that down here.

And working with your kids like that they may do much better in chemistry than I did. :hugs

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Speaking of chemistry (not one of my favorite subjects) nitrogen in the form plants can use, nitrates and nitrites, is water soluble. That means it can leach out of the soil with water. You are on the wet side so you may have to pay more attention to nitrogen than say someone on your state's eastern border. I run into that down here.

And working with your kids like that they may do much better in chemistry than I did. :hugs

yes, you really don't want to add nitrogen fertilizers until the plants are actively growing. compost is a very weak fertilizer and should be considered a long term soil conditioner and slow release nutrient source. it's not bad, it's just not going to be enough for some of the heavier feeding crops that grow quickly.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
yes, you really don't want to add nitrogen fertilizers until the plants are actively growing. compost is a very weak fertilizer and should be considered a long term soil conditioner and slow release nutrient source. it's not bad, it's just not going to be enough for some of the heavier feeding crops that grow quickly.
I'm not fertilizing till it's time to plant, but I must get all of my gardening supplies now if possible due to scarcity in the area. By the time it's actually time to plant, everything is gone. Potting soil, fertilizers, seeds. Gone. Since I know what nutrients I need, I can nip out now and bag myself some blood meal or something while it's still January and none of the normal people are thinking about gardens yet. :p

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today was fun! My son came out to help me get my potato bags ready. I saved some feed bags and we poked holes in the bottom, stuffed them with straw, and covered them with a bit of dirt. My son particularly loved the part where we stabbed the bottom of the bags vigorously with a knife. ;-)

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm not fertilizing till it's time to plant, but I must get all of my gardening supplies now if possible due to scarcity in the area. By the time it's actually time to plant, everything is gone. Potting soil, fertilizers, seeds. Gone. Since I know what nutrients I need, I can nip out now and bag myself some blood meal or something while it's still January and none of the normal people are thinking about gardens yet. :p
Yeah, I'm worried about being able to get stuff. We aren't going out though. Our son has offered to pick things up, but I'm a little overwhelmed with making the list (and don't want to impose). 😟

Latest posts