Ancient squash- geto okosomi

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
A good example of how the name & history of a variety can be distorted over time, as seeds change hands. I've been able to witness examples of this even with some of the seeds I've exchanged over the years - and was even (unwittingly) guilty of misnaming a variety once myself. It is important to preserve the seeds of heirlooms, which might be the last fingerprints of times, cultures, & families... but without preserving their accompanying history, their true value may be lost. In a culture which tends to focus on the present, the history may prove to be more difficult to preserve than the seeds themselves.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think the best way to avoid the bane of squash begs is to grow them on a fence..

the squash we normally grow roots from nodes along the ground so having it up on a fence would make it more likely to fail. we usually get an ok crop from them as it is even if the stems get chewed up.

this coming year we'll have to move to a different location as we've not rotated the past several and the bugs are getting worse. or perhaps we won't grow any at all because we have plenty still in the freezer.

i have one last round of them from this past growing season to cook up yet sometime in the next few weeks.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
the squash we normally grow roots from nodes along the ground so having it up on a fence would make it more likely to fail. we usually get an ok crop from them as it is even if the stems get chewed up.

this coming year we'll have to move to a different location as we've not rotated the past several and the bugs are getting worse. or perhaps we won't grow any at all because we have plenty still in the freezer.

i have one last round of them from this past growing season to cook up yet sometime in the next few weeks.
I used to have a terrible time with squash bugs.I mulched with leaves in may veggie garden back then.. I think that made the problem worse as they hide in the leaves. I have been using grass clippings and just last year weed barrier. I have may chickens forage all winter in the garden and that has reduced the population to a manageable level. There are many delicious vining squash to give a try to.

Latest posts