Announcing a new arrival

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
jackb is pleased to announce the arrival of Il Primo.

I named the plant Il Primo because it is my first conventionally cloned olive to actually make it to the greenhouse. Il Primo is Italian for "The First"; I thought it an appropriate name, as the parent is of Italian origin. Both parent and offspring are doing just fine.

Ascolano (Ah-sko-lah-noh)
This large light green olive is native to the Marche region of Italy. The Ascolano is famous for its huge size, soft texture and delicate taste. Often served as an hors d’oeuvre, the Ascolano can also be the perfect complement to pastas and salads.

There are five other cuttings, of various varieties, that I expect to add to my olive arborium in the near future.

jackb

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
How many years till they fruit ?
It really depends on the variety. Some will fruit in the first year, some in four or five. I had several flower in February, Arbequina and Arbosana, but I lost them due to not having the right media. That problem was corrected in early summer and I am hoping to have olives this time next year.:fl
jackb

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is a rare one I have in vitro, or tissue culture, I doubt that I could have started it in soil. I can't wait to get this one growing, as the fruit is said to be HUGE!.
The Halkidiki olive, also known as Chalkidiki, is grown exclusively in Greece in a region that is adjacent to Mount Athos. They are also known as “donkey olives” because of their large size and make excellent table olives.
jackb

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red,
It is eight by six but I also grow indoors under lights in the basement. I expect that the olives will come inside in early December. Take a peek if you want. Follow the link and use guest for both user name and password. I'll leave it up for a few hours.
jackb

http://24.92.61.88:888/monitor2.htm#

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@jackb, I tried the link, but couldn't get past the password page. Said one or the other is wrong.

Did check out your blog, however. I'll be checking it further as time allows. Thanks.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red,
Try again it you like. I reset and rebooted the server. I may have made a typo as you can't see what you type, just ******s
jackb

Latest posts