Another drying question

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
When you take something off the liner, should it just be picked up and not stuck at all? Some pieces are that way and then some will be stuck. If I let it go longer, would the stuck pieces eventually be unstuck?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some things like tomatoes (cut open, I haven't tried any with the skin on) and blueberries (again split so they are wet) sometimes stick though most (not all) come off easily. Some things like Basil and Oregano normally don't stick.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The solid liners will peel off fairly easy. Tomatoes stuck to the trays, so I sprayed Pam on the trays and they came right off! @Ridgerunner do you peel your tomatoes before dehydrating them? I just sliced mine and put on the trays......have I been doing it wrong? :idunno

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, do you like them when you dehydrate them? Then you are not doing them wrong. There is no right way or wrong way, just the way you like them or that works for you.

I lied a bit. I should have said "with the skin whole". I don’t peel them. I always split them and remove what seeds I can because of my wife's diverticula. That means I’ve got wet “Tomato Flesh” in contact with the tray or sleeve and it sometimes sticks. It usually come off pretty easily if I use the sleeve even without using oil or grease first. Just fingernails. If I did it on the tray without the sleeve or parchment paper it would be more of a problem. I have to soak those clean.

I just split the cherry tomatoes but the bigger ones get chunked. I do recommend splitting them so they will dry out a lot faster.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner I thought maybe you might be the Guru of Dehydrating and have a better way of doing things. :lol: I am always open to different or better ways to get the job done. I love TEG because everyone is so great about sharing what they know and helping each other!

Now.....do you have a recipe for crispy dehydrated squash chips?