Another gourd question...ummm, bluebird?

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
'k, it's corny, but I bought a bag of small ornamental gourds during Thanksgiving week to put in a basket and decorate my table.
Now that I've moved on to my Christmas corniness, is there anything I can do with these gourds? They weren't expensive, so I could just toss em; but can I try to dry them to save the seeds first? They have a slight shininess to em, so I'm guessing they've been shelaced (sp?).

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
you can paint them like Santa Clause or Snowmen and hang them in your Christmas tree. You can also cut them, take out all the seeds, then put beans or pepples in them and glue the top part of the gourd on to it so it can be a Christmas instrument every time you shake it!!!! :D

bluebird

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yep, like Chicken Boy says:

I dry all my ornamentals and use them for ornaments and stuff too. They are easy to grow so I always save my seeds. You can even use parts to make animals and figures. Use your imagination!

SGTSHEART, I'll send out the egg gourd seeds on Monday! ;)

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That would be awesome bluebird! Something to look forward to. Thanks! Kat

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:lol:
Chicken_Boy said:
you can paint them like Santa Clause or Snowmen and hang them in your Christmas tree. You can also cut them, take out all the seeds, then put beans or pepples in them and glue the top part of the gourd on to it so it can be a Christmas instrument every time you shake it!!!! :D
I did Santa gourds as gifts one year. They were really cute!
If all else fails just shoot 'em with gold spray paint??? (Sorry, not Martha!)

bluebird

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
....spray paint, sponge paint, crayons, markers, leather dye, wood stain..... the list goes on & on. Whatever you do to wood can be done on a gourd!

I'll have to take some pix and post them on here! Has anyone looked at the links I provided?

JudyMcKinn

Sprout
Reaction score
Bluebird, no, please post your links again. I can't find them.

Latest posts