Another mystery

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
6476_003.jpg

This is about 3' tall, dies back every fall and so far has had no blooms or fruit. It really doesn't look to be a happy plant and I have no idea what it is. Should I put it out of it's misery, or is there something that I can do to make it flourish?

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LOL,

This one is so easy I best not answer! LOL j/k! :throw

It is a Fig!

Ron

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
That's kinda what my guess was, but what were they thinking to plant one up here?

Now for the next question, what do I do with it?? It's in a nice spot aesthetically speaking and I don't mind putting some effort into it if that will help it.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Chances are that this fig was a grafted variety with a hardy root stock for your region. Sadly what has happened is that the cultivar portion is gone and what you have is the 'wild' root stock that the grower used.

This may not fruit if the bush keeps dropping to the ground level each year and regrowing new shoots. Instead it is just depleting its ability to thrive. You probably noticed it getting smaller and smaller from year to year.

I would sacrifice it unless it is not taking up any room. You could leave it be and put some stones (like a football size stone) surrounding the base; this could act as a natural heater during the winter months in protecting the roots further. It does have pretty cool leaves.

The thing with this is that you could go out and get a new cultivar at a local nursery that is designed to thrive in your region. There are several different types. This root may be one that is not used for fruit at all and was only meant to support the graft.

How fabulous it would be to pick ripe figs from your own tree! :tools

Something to think about.

Ron

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
That sounds like what I've been watching!

I like the looks of the thing, so I think I'll baby it some this winter and see what it does next year. Maybe with some TLC I can avoid another major excavation project.

Thanks, Ron.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You might try piling dried leaves around it once it dies back, then remove them in the spring when it is time for it to grow.

This is a cut and paste from Stark Brothers, just for kicks.

Brown Turkey Fig
Ficus caricaCatalog #: 20476
An everbearer for the North. Enjoy fresh figs starting in June, or dry them for tasty treats. Keeps well. Needs protection below 10 F.

Pricing Information:
Qty Price
1 $15.99 / Each
3 $14.99 / Each

Recommended Hardiness Zone Range: 5-9

And here is one from Burgess. This one does not specifically say it is not grafted so I'd have a question or two before I ordered it.

You can have a true fig from trees that reach only 6 feet. Dwarf Fig trees produce sweet fruits that are good for eating fresh, canning, drying or in cookies or cakes. Where temperatures drop below 5 F, they need tub planting so the tree can be moved to shelter to both ripen the fruits and protect the top. Root is hardy anywhere, but the top will die back below 5 F. The Dwarf Fig tree may grow in zone 4 with protection and is self-fertile but will do better with 2 trees planted.