Another pie filling question...

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just went back and reread the pie filling posts... I am finding a lot of recipes that include cornstarch for thickening. I understand that is no longer recommended for canning. When I make apple pie filling for immediate baking, I add a couple TBS of flour. So, my question is- can I make the pie filling with no thickener and simply add flour to the mixture before baking? Would it be too hard to get it mixed in? What do you think? Just picked 2 bushels off one tree, and still have another tree to go.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a good question... I would think it could get lumpy if you put it in dry. Maybe you can do a cornstarch/water mix and work that in. They make something called Clear-jel which is approved for canning. I can't find it locally, so I'll have to get some online.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ducks, that is what I was hoping to hear! How do you add the flour? Is it hard to mix in?
Journey, I saw that everybody was having a hard time finding that gel, so I was hoping to avoid that search!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Mom always added tapioca to pies that needed thickening. It was not apparent when you ate it but it did thicken the juices. That should be easy to add at baking time.
lesa said:
I just went back and reread the pie filling posts... I am finding a lot of recipes that include cornstarch for thickening. I understand that is no longer recommended for canning. When I make apple pie filling for immediate baking, I add a couple TBS of flour. So, my question is- can I make the pie filling with no thickener and simply add flour to the mixture before baking? Would it be too hard to get it mixed in? What do you think? Just picked 2 bushels off one tree, and still have another tree to go.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just sprinkle a tablespoon or so of flour over the apples (or whatever) before putting the top pastry on. It magically distributes throughout the filling while baking. No lumps.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
My Mom always added tapioca to pies that needed thickening.. .
I was hoping someone would say something about tapioca. My Mom did that too and so does DW following her apple pie recipe.

The recipe calls for so many tablespoons of flour. They just use half tapioca/half flour. I notice the tapioca in there and like it that way. I don't know anything about adding it to frozen pie filling, tho'.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks everybody! I feel confident with the process now... This weekend will be pie filling weekend! Dh loves apple pie so much, I would really have to ruin it- for him not to be happy! Have apple butter in the crockpot right now. I don't care what it tastes like- it is the best smelling thing I have ever made!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Here's the deal--if your canned apple pie filling is too soupy, pour off some of it. You can also add lemon juice at this time bc you will want tart and many apples are too sweet for a good pie. Then you add flour to thicken, which compliments the crust also made from flour. I got my pie crust recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, before they updated and ruined some of their time-tested favorites. It's just 1:3:5-7 Tblsp.
BASIC PIE CRUST, double layer
1 cup shortening
3 cups flour
1-2 teaspoons salt--taste it
5-7 tablespoons ice water, per cup of flour

1. hand mix until it resembles coarse oatmeal
2. add water, a little at a time, using a meat serving fork, like you have in your flatware set, until all is moistened
3. cut 2 pieces of waxed paper, long enough for below and above
4. put 1/2 or more of the pie dough between the sheets of waxed paper and roll out to fit your pie plate
5. pull the top sheet of waxed paper and put aside
6. put the pie plate upside down on top of the crust, and revert
7. use a paring knife to cut the excess crust from the sides, and add to the rest of the dough
8. fill with the filling
9. dot with butter on the top.
The butter mixes with the sugar, juices and flour and "candies" your pie
10. roll out the remainder of the dough between the sheets of waxed paper, peel off the top layer of waxed paper and put the crust on top of the filling.
11. Cut the excess and pinch two crusts together.
12. Use your paring knife to cut vent holes, dust with sugar, if you wish. Sometimes you can take the leftover pie crust and cut pie decorations with cookie cutters, like autumn leaves or, Christmas things, or...dare I say it...I have a PIG cookie cutter! :lol:
Bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes, let cool and ENJOY!!!

I only use cornstarch to make cherry pie filling.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have been on the hunt for fresh lard to use for pie crust. lard that is NOT homogenized (like all of it is in the grocery store) is supposed to actually have nutritional benefits AND make the most perfect flaky pie crust. I haven't yet found a source.

Latest posts