1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Cuor di Bue ou Oxheart / Heart of Beef tomato - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Any other tips?

Discussion in 'Lawns & Landscaping' started by Wendy Dickerson, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Apr 13, 2018
    Wendy Dickerson

Wendy Dickerson Leafing Out

I hate grasses in the lawn. I had talked with lawn maintenance services in Mississauga. Most people have too much lawn because they don't know what else to plant there. The green grass is more of a pain than it's worth. A nice lawn requires a lot of maintenance: watering, cutting, weeding and trimming. There are several ground coverings in multiple shades of green. Though they aren't as versatile as grass, they certainly look the part while requiring much less attention. Also try for blue sedge, creeping Jenny or creeping thyme even though they look like grass from afar, they never need any mowing. If you hate grasses in your lawn, you can try these methods.

2. Apr 13, 2018
    canesisters

canesisters Garden Master

I think that several folks on TEG have come to that conclusion and are turning as much lawn as possible into gardens of one kind or another.
    Personally, I've got a large back lawn that is shrinking every year. The flower bed is creeping in from the east, the chicken coop and veggi garden are creeping in from the south and west, and the mulched sitting area is (hopefully) going to expand greatly this year from the north. The dogs' area is getting smaller and smaller... good thing they are getting so old that they don't seem to really care - they want to be inside on their beds more and more anyway.

ducks4you and Ridgerunner like this.
  3. Apr 13, 2018
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

My "lawn" is anything green that gets mowed

ducks4you, Jared77 and canesisters like this.
  4. Apr 13, 2018
    Jared77

Jared77 Garden Addicted

Yep I refer to it as "yard". There is enough room for my kids to run, the dog to run, and play. Anything that will hurt your foot is dealt with otherwise its just mowed to a reasonable height to keep it greenish. Could be dandelions, could be creeping jenny, could be Kentucky blue grass. I don't feed the yard, I just keep it tamed enough so nobody gets lost when they go out.

baymule, ducks4you, pjn and 2 others like this.
  5. Apr 13, 2018
    canesisters

canesisters Garden Master

Well - yeah... soil covered in growing stuff that is meant to be walked on = 'yard' :thumbsup
    I'd probably be hard pressed to find more than a bucket full of "grass". It's all kinds of sorta-greenish-leafy stuff.

ducks4you, Jared77 and Nyboy like this.
  6. Apr 13, 2018
    flowerbug

flowerbug Garden Addicted

yes, cut it with a mulching mower regularly it won't ever need fertilizer and what the mowing selects for...

not much grassy area left here and i'd love to get rid of it all. the amount of work to mow it is about how much work it would take to mulch it or use it as garden space (more beans or flowers :) ).

ducks4you and canesisters like this.
  7. Apr 13, 2018
    flowerbug

flowerbug Garden Addicted

there are some fine frondy kinds of yarrow which work very well for lawns if you can tolerate the smell of them when mowing. they are comfortable to walk on with bare feet and stay green even during the dryest parts of the summer.

we also have thymes of several types, mints, etc. which wander around the grassy spots. there's a few weeds which i wish we'd not ever introduced (seed packets and wildflower seed mixes)... they've been a lot of work to try to keep out of the other garden spaces and to weed them from those they've invaded. i use other plants when possible to smother them (strawberries, buckwheat, alfalfa, trefoil, clovers, plantains, ...)

canesisters likes this.
  8. Apr 13, 2018
    Jared77

Jared77 Garden Addicted

Yeah I have no desire for my lawn to look like a golf course or any of the large expanses that mansions sit on. Its functional space for me. No weed killers, no feeding, no reseeding.

flowerbug, canesisters and Nyboy like this.
  9. Apr 20, 2018
    Wendy Dickerson

Wendy Dickerson Leafing Out

Thank you for your comment and suggestions.

flowerbug likes this.