Any use for sliding glass doors?

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We replaced the sliding glass door on the house, so I have the glass panels from the old one.

I thought I might use them for something like a cold frame... but they are big and heavy. I'd have to build a sturdy frame and get some kind of device to help open it and hold it up. I think there's a reason people normally use old _windows_ on cold frames, not doors. :)

Before they end up on Freecycle, What else might I do with them? (The frame is shot, the doors would no longer slide, so it's just the framed glass panels left, nothing else.)

-Wendy

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
They just seem too good to throw away, don't they? I used a couple to build a "sun room" for my chickens. It ended up being a way to get them out of the coop when it gets real snowy, and windy. I was tempted to use them for a cold frame- but they seemed way too heavy to move around. I think wifez. used them with a structure of hay bales and the door glass on top. You really do need to be able to open and close them easily- plants bake just as fast as they freeze....Do you have a place you could tuck them away, until you get inspired?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What are they, Wendy, 24" each? I've considered replacing my 20' plastic tunnel with glass doors. It may actually match the 20' greenhouse and look better in my backyard. I'd need 10 doors not 2, for that.

I don't suppose that at 4', it would be worth it to you but they could be set up with an entrance like I have for the tunnel. I've never known what to call it . . . a well? . . . a vestibule . . . :/?

The center aisle in the tunnel is about 18" below grade so I've dug a little well (?) with 2 steps down and floor. It is only large enuf for me to open a 24" door. The door swings out and I walk into the tunnel.

The tunnel is probably less than 5' tall but the excavated path allows me to walk around in there. The soil from the path went into the beds on either side.

What I could do with glass doors is lean them from the south side against a framed ground-to-peak roof on the north side. Gable walls on the east and west would close the little structure. You'd have to decide if any of this would make any sense for you. Beds raised high enuf would preclude a need for digging out a vestibule (?) - you just have to think about headroom, is all. You may even have enuf building material around for the north wall/roof and gables - what with your earlier sunshed construction project.

Sunshed, Jr?

Steve

lighthawk

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
wsmoak said:
We replaced the sliding glass door on the house, so I have the glass panels from the old one.

I thought I might use them for something like a cold frame... but they are big and heavy. I'd have to build a sturdy frame and get some kind of device to help open it and hold it up. I think there's a reason people normally use old _windows_ on cold frames, not doors. :)

Before they end up on Freecycle, What else might I do with them? (The frame is shot, the doors would no longer slide, so it's just the framed glass panels left, nothing else.)

-Wendy
Too bad you are so far away. I would gladly take them off your hands for a solar pop-can heater for my shed. Try a google search there are hundreds of designs out there.
Rich

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I would definitely not throw them away...a purpose will come to you when you least expect it. :)

We still kick ourselves that we've thrown away old windows, once we realized we could've used them for a greenhouse. (Luckily, DH had someone who was remodeling give him about 8 old windows so now I'm just trying to come up with a design. :woot )

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
100_9082.jpg

Wendy this is my GH made from recycled/repurposed used sliding patio doors and windows, that we had been saving for years. We finally built it two years ago. The right side of picture (south) is built from 4 sliding patio doors. (2 sets) We framed all doors and windows in from recycled lumber we had leftover from building our log home. Save the patio doors until you can decide if you can use them or not. Otherwise post on freecycle, many people would jump at the chance to have all that glass for a GH.. I would take them off your hands in a heartbeat if I lived closer..Looking to build a second recycled greenhouse. :D

Ginny

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm so glad I opened this thread again!

That . . . is such a pretty greenhouse!

Guess it just goes to show what you can do with stuff if you set your mind to it!

Steve
now, fill it up! fill it up ;)!

Latest posts