Anybody grow cranberries?

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
1876013479_4cf333a62b.jpg

I grow them just to see if I can. My patch is about 6 years old, and each year I get a few more cranberries. This years harvest (pictured above) was 27. Wow, buckets of cranberry juice for sure !!!!! OceanSpray, watch out!

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yeah, I think they're ripe. I'm afraid to taste them to make sure. I have them in a little dish on the counter - it's turned out to be a handy dish to also put our chicken eggs in.

MeanQueenNadine

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My understanding is that they are a bog plant - where are you located? I did try twice and was not successful. Once it was more of the bog type shrub the other was more of a ground cover and supposedly more drought tolerant.....But I got that info from a plant catalog and some are not correct or maybe not totally honest.....So please tell us the type (latin name) and your growing method. I still have not given up hope trying to grow.
Thanks
Nadine

Oh and where did you buy them from?
Thanks again.

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sadly, in Arizona, there is noseason you can plant them in. I'ts too hot here. You can plant them,they sprout, they grow, grow, and they die.

But I do know a lot about them.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've never had a fresh cranberry. I guess they would grow here maybe. Blueberries grow really well out here. Add some peat and you're good to go. I think of them as sour though?

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
silkiechicken said:
I've never had a fresh cranberry. I guess they would grow here maybe. Blueberries grow really well out here. Add some peat and you're good to go. I think of them as sour though?
eggchel from BYC had some blueberry bushes at her house. Never knew how blueberries grew until seeing them at her place. Seemed pretty easy / straightforward and I'm thinking I may have to try some myself.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think they acidic soil so dump in a bag of peat at the bottom of the hole for the plant. I didn't know blue berries grew in cali. But then again, not all of cali is LA hot.

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I got them from Miller's fruit tree, etc. catalog. I'm at work now, so can't check the latin name.

I grow them in a raised bed, and they grow in the same row as two giant blueberry bushes. When I planted them, I threw in tons of peat moss and even spaghnum moss, then I fertilize them with Miracid and Hollytone. They took several years to get established, and I've lost some plants along the way, and re-ordered more from Miller's to replace them.

I don't water them extra - the watery bog thing is for harvesting - they flood the bogs and the berries float to the service for easy catching.

Latest posts