Anybody have any homemade canned tomato soup recipes?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have to find it but I did have a tomato basil recipe you can. I'll try to dig and find it again, my documents are recipes are literally all over the place and its time for me to organize files again! Argh!

Veggie PAK

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Jared77 said:
They'd be willing to share? Id really appreciate it
I have a basic tomato soup recipe from my mom and I canned it last year and it did fine. Remember, the tomato types are variable. Just keep the total quantities approximately the same for it to turn out good. Actually, with these ingredients, you can have a wide variety of combinations to suite your taste I believe. Good luck with it! It worked well for me! I followed the tomato soup time in the Ball Blue Book for canning. There is a tomato soup recipe there on Page 65 of the new book for this year.

Mom's Tomato Soup
Ingredients
Yellow Tomatoes and Red Tomatoes (in equal amounts)
Chopped Sweet Onion (estimate 1 c. onion per 2 quarts)
Any Color Sweet Peppers (Optional, chopped small, amount to taste)
Sugar (estimate 1 level tablespoon per 2 quarts)
Chicken broth/bouillon (estimate 3 cubes or equivalent per 2 quarts)

Directions
Scald tomatoes, cool and remove skin. Roughly cut/slice tomatoes into soup pot. Start cooking slowly on simmer because it burns very easily; keep on low heat until tomatoes start making their own juice. You can add a little water if desired. Once they have started getting juicy or you have added a little water, add the chopped sweet onion and chicken bouillon. (You can now add the optional chopped colored peppers if desired. This soup is delicious either with or without the peppers.) Add sugar and mix well; this cuts the acidity of the tomatoes. Once the soup comes to a simmer, continue to cook on low heat for about one hour, but stay attentive to it, stirring occasionally, as it can burn very easily. ENJOY!

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mine is...

butter
garlic
onions
carrots (diced/grated)
crushed tomatoes
chicken broth
salt & pepper
fresh basil

Saute garlic in butter for a few minutes, then add onions and carrots and cook until onions soften.

Add tomatoes and chicken broth, simmer for 30 minutes.

Add chopped fresh basil

Add salt if needed (if you used commercial broth and canned tomatoes, there might be plenty already) and pepper to taste.

This year with the awful heat my tomatoes were pretty bland so I added tomato paste and roasted red pepper. If I do that again I might leave out the basil.

Puree with an immersion blender or transfer in batches to regular blender.

Latest posts