Anybody have experience growing

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Florentine Beauty tomatoes?

Saw them online and went "hmmmmm"

And is it bad I'm looking at 2016 already? This year I gave up early. Tried to do too much and my garden shows it BIG time.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cool, a yellow fluted tomato--not something you see every day! Hey, did you watch the video they had on how to cross-pollinate your own tomatoes. I just threw out a pair of broken sunglasses the other day. Hope I can dig them back out of the trash. :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey refers to the video on their homepage:

http://tomatogeeks.com/

You can see what my digitS were almost up to when I tried to breed tomatoes. Too tiny! ...and, that looks like a plant with larger and tougher flowers :rolleyes:.

If it was easy, everybody would be doing it ;).

A very different looking tomato, @Jared77 .:cool:

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just received my HPS catalog, 2015-16. ...they do that ;).

They will have a new AAS winning Chef's Choice Pink. The picture isn't on their website but here it is: AAS winner Pink. The orange that won last year is sure pretty: AAS winner Orange.

The orange is a hybrid of Amana Orange but is supposed to ripen a good deal earlier. HPS has large seed packets but I'd expect smaller size from Jung's and Totally Tomatoes ... when they finally get around to sending out a 2016 catalog ...

;) Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pretty tomato Jared. Will you grow it next year?

I wonder how they can do the 2016 catalogs while the 2015 season isn't finished.
Obviously it's something I'm clueless about :confused:, and probably they are not relying on seed from north Idaho...

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, you had me at not hollow and no cracking. It does sound good, and is beautiful!
I am feeling slightly better about open pollinated tomatoes this year. The San Marzano are doing better than the Big Beef. And the Kellogg's Breakfast yellow is really great tasting.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have an electric toothbrush though. Thought that was funny, him vibrating the pollen off the flowers.

I am very good with delicate detail work. I would be game to try it, just for fun.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I could give you a few tips on what not to do, @journey11 . Then! We could all come to rely on you for our varieties!

... the Kellogg's Breakfast yellow is really great tasting

Isn't it, tho'!

You think about early varieties. A lack of flavor is characteristic. I may be able to work my way outta that box if early summers will change. However, my experiences are that some late favorites can't be trusted to perform well.

See, I don't know what Amana Orange tastes like so @journey11 will have to develop an early-ripening KB ... :D.

Steve
edit to try to make clear that I'm late variety deprived, and attempt to gain appropriate sympathy ...

Last edited:

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@thistlebloom yes I will be ordering seeds for them. I'm excited to try them because they are yellow & fluted.

I think they can do 2016 catalogs because they have an idea of what's out there already. The staples are the same, and more peculiar things I think are debuted for 2016 though they may not have been created then. They just now have enough seeds to offer them for sale.

That and it generates hype. I remember when Baker Creek first mentioned they would be selling seeds for Pusa Asita Black Carrots http://www.rareseeds.com/pusa-asita-black-carrot/ people went into a frenzy. Yes Baker Creek played up the hype a bit too, but word went out and they were struggling to keep pace with orders. Everybody wanted it. It was a must have carrot variety.

Same thing with Wild Boar Farms Berkeley Pink Tie Dye tomato http://www.rareseeds.com/pink-berkeley-tie-dye-tomato/ and the offshoots of that with it as a parent plant.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got some Pink Berkeley Tie Dye in a trade this year and it was one of the few tomatoes I did get fruit from. They are pretty tasty. But yeah, I know what you mean, some varieties are trendier than others. Seems to be more of a visual attraction on most things, wild colors, unusual forms, etc. Nice when they actually taste good, produce well (that's the kicker), or have some other redeeming quality. Funny we can be so shallow and vain when it comes to veggies too. :p LOL

Latest posts