Anyone else in North Central Texas?

divinebovine

Sprout
Reaction score
Lake Worth, here. Would be interested in getting a shout-out from anyone else in my area.

Haven't gardened more than tomatoes, herbs, and tomatoes in more than 20 years, but I'm branching out this year w/a couple of fruit trees and garlic this fall - and a full-fledged veggie garden in Spring. Any tried-and-true plants for this area would be most helpful.

texgran

Sprout
Reaction score
:lol: I'm in Denton
Maybe you could tell me what tomatoes did well for you this year.
I tried a couple of new squashes this year.
coczelle zuccini...did great during a cucumber beetle swarm they were all over it but didn't stay long and didn't damage them.
tromboncino...climbing zuccini very good producer, but I planted it because all the posts I had read said it wasn't bothered by vine borers. Let me tell you that is false. It is such a large vining plant though, that the vines that ran along the ground did much better than the ones I had climbing. The reason being, in my opinion, is that the vine on the ground rooted about every 3 foot. so if I lost a section to borers the next section did great. I'm still getting squash from it.
I like to plant pinto and blue lake bush for green beans. I have never failed to have a bumper crop of cucs from the pickling cucumber, national pickler. Roma VF, better boy, early girl, celebrity and porter tomatoes have always done well for me. Lemon boy and costuleto genovesse produced well but the genovesse is not crack resistant and it has green shoulders. My heirlooms haven't done great but hopefully they are getting ready to set some good fall tomatoes. Romaine and butter lettuces, mesclun mix does well at the right time. I like the japenese eggplant in the fall.
Like you I would like to hear what others have good luck with.
I am an organic gardener.
Good luck this fall. Maybe you'll add kale, lettuce, radish, spinach and/or carrots to your fall line up.

Latest posts