Anyone Grow Papalo?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
For the last few years I've grown a plant/herb called 'Papalo'. It is a wonderful plant to grow, if one likes a taste similar to the green herb cilantro/coriander, because it lasts all summer long unlike cilantro. Every year I've grown it, I have not noticed any seed heads form, and I'd really like to save some of my own seed instead of buy a new packet every year (not many seeds in a pack). Does anyone have experience with this plant, and know if it's possible to save seed from it if living outside of Mexico, or other hot countries it may grow in?

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've grown it once, though I didn't like it (for some reason while I like cilantro I don't like Papalo).

But as for seed, it should be easy. min produced copious seed, and I'm only a little further south than you. Just note that palpalo is a member of the daisy family, and the seed is like dandelion fluff.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've grown it once, though I didn't like it (for some reason while I like cilantro I don't like Papalo).

But as for seed, it should be easy. min produced copious seed, and I'm only a little further south than you. Just note that palpalo is a member of the daisy family, and the seed is like dandelion fluff.
Thank you @Pulsegleaner...so it formed seed head for you...wow. I wonder why I'm not able to spot when it seeds have formed? Last year I grew it in a pot in the greenhouse to try and ensure it went to seed in a protected place if it was a longer season thing, and it never seemed to make collectable seed. I've had difficulty spotting when exactly to collect lettuce seed too (I know, everyone laughs at that), been trying that for a couple years too. I see fluff form on some parts of the head but it just doesn't seem fully mature - when I pull the fluff to seed what's attached to the end, there never seems to be anything there? I wonder if papalo is a bit like that too, and I'm missing the precise time in needs to be collected.

I hear you on the peculiar difference between cilantro and papalo; when I first nibbled it I tasted some kind of unpleasant cedar oil flavor. But I kept shredding it to top nachos.cheese and sour cream, and eventually I sort of became addicted to it. I had to adjust to it, but when I did, I was hooked.

Latest posts