Anyone make their own essential oils?

MsPony

Sprout
Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, this seemed the best spot!

Has anyone made their own essential oils? I was thinking of growing my own herbs and then mixing them into essential oils for my horse. I read up on it and it seems fairly easy? And do you use oliva oil or jojoba oil?

Rusty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
To obtain true essential oils, you need to steam distill the plant material. I have a steam still but, so far, no plant material. I am hoping to start some lavender and eventually use it to produce lavender essential oil to use in my own soaps. There is a term for the other style (pressed maybe? I'm not sure) to distinguish it from actual essential oil, which is very volatile, but it is the true distilled EO that must be used in soap in order to give it sufficient scent. There is something about the lye process that is really hard on scents, hence the need for the actual essential oil. But the milder type works well for potpourri and such.

I've not heard about using herbs on horses but that piques my curiosity. Tell me more!

:tools

Rusty

MsPony

Sprout
Reaction score
Thank you! I will try it the easy way first and see how my sensitive pony takes to it ;)

As mentioned, hes sensitive hehe, so im trying to wean him off the equi-spot, super harsh fly sprays, etc., thats a necessity for him or hes eaten alive. I also want to stop the medicated shampoos and have already switched to an all natural liniment for him. He has old track injuries and I was thinking of implementing oils into his massages/stretches/after workout care. I really want to try raindrop therapy on him.

And of course I need an all natural bug repellent, yesterday I got two bites and can barely use that hand :(

I will PM you the address for the site I go to for holistic horse care, its really interesting :D

MsPony

Sprout
Reaction score
Also hes on silver lining herbs supplements someday I would like to conquer making my own mix, but for now I will try growing things and experimenting.

Latest posts