Anyone try to make caramels?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have not done that specifically or anything that required soft or firm ball for a while, years actually, but be ready to act when you get to the firm ball stage. Have everything you need there where you can immediately get it. You don't have time to go find a rubber spatula or grease a pan. Have everything ready to go.

At least that one tells you what to do if you let it go too far, so it sounds like a great one to try. Good luck!!!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've done lots of candies and fudge and really enjoy it! But i've never actually made a real caramel, what we're doing for gifts this year (starting in 5 minutes actually) is a salted caramel dipping sauce. A few tips from my other candymaking adventures: like ridgerunner says, have everything ready to go!! It will seem to take forever to get to the right temp, then all the sudden the temp will shoot up fast! And use a candy thermometer, and if you're more than 1000 feet above sea level you have to adjust the temperature, there are conversion charts out there. Well, i should say i'm assuming you'll need a candy thermometer for caramels, since i havent made them yet i dont know how hot you need to get the sugar mixture. And its really true that you shouldnt make fudge if its raining or the humidity is really high! I thought this was an old wives tale, but no! Dont be disappointed if it doesnt come out right 1st try, if its too runny you can use it as dipping sauce or ice cream topping, and if its too hard maybe you can cook it to the hard crack stage and make a brittle out of it!let us know how it turns out!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So i have to say, the salted caramel dipping sauce i made for presents this year is delicious!! And really straightforward, fast, simple ingredients...if you're looking for last minute homemade gifts, google a recipe for it and whip some up! I put them in little gift bags with an organic granny smith apple. Pretty and yummy!

Latest posts