Anyone use Black Kow?

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Every year I add new compost to my gardens made from grass clippings, leaves and chicken poop. I always top dress with some cow manure. This year I cam across a brand of cow manure called "Black Kow". I had never seen or heard of it before. I started reading reviews from websites and stores that sell it, and the reviews were stellar. So, I bought a few bags and am going to try it out. Has anyone here ever used it? Do you think it is better than any other cow manure you have ever used? Here's their website if you want to read about it. http://blackkow.com

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm sure it is good. Doubt any different than any other cow manure. Go by analysis.

Could go to a dairy and ask, they would probably let u scoop it up

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is what I used in my garden soil mix. I used peat moss, black kow and perlite. It seems to make a very nice growing medium. I used in my new beds and as a starting mix for my seeds.

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I guess what surprised me is that as I was looking at sites to see where I could get it the cheapest, there were so many positive reviews for it. I've never seen reviews for cow manure, positive or negative when I purchased it in the past.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
black kow is my favorite in all my raised beds, will till in from 2-4 bags a year per bed...

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
How big are your beds? I bought 2 bags per 4' x 8' raised bed. I wonder if that is too much.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
in the main raised bed garden have 11.
DSC_0004.JPG

as i get wiser and older going to more raised beds......
they are 3' wide and range from 5' to 16' long
and with a little plastic you can grow pretty much throughout the winter on a limited bases.

Last edited:

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Nice! That's quite a garden! I have 4 - 4 x 8's and am building 2 more 4 x 8's. I used Tamarac wood so it will outlast me. Looks like 2 bags per 4 x 8 will be ok for mine

I notice you used welded wire on green posts for fencing. I am putting that up now. How did you build a gate? I was going to sink a couple of 4 x 4's and make a wood gate, but I am open to something easier.

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OK...I am assuming you are saying @@baymule has some type of gate, but I am new here. How do I find it?

Yup, I thought all cow manure was created equal too, but as I mentioned above, I never saw cow manure reviews. And, this manure gets raves.

Latest posts