Anyone Use Bobcat Urine For Deer Control ?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have used coyote, wolf and mountain lion.
The coyote seemed most effective but that's not based on anything other than casual observation. The deer up here should be familiar with all of those, but probably the town deer don't know what a wolf is.

That one doesn't look as expensive as the ones I bought. The coyote and mountain lion were granular and the wolf was a liquid. Both were in pint containers and too spendy for using on large areas and many clients. I didn't see much info on that bobcat one.
How were you thinking of applying it?

I had felt hangers (pieces of felt with a hole in one end to thread the other end through) that I soaked in the liquid repellent and hung about deer nose height in the shrubs along their favorite paths. Supposedly that will contain the scent longer than if you applied it to foliage.
I like to apply repellents to trunks, especially bark that has a lot of texture. My theory is it will get in all the crevices and stay longer, but I don't know if it actually works that way.

I think deer are different enough in every area that what works in one neighborhood won't have the same effectiveness in another, so to me it's certainly worth a try. One thing I do believe is that you have to change up your war plans often enough to keep them off balance and worried.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I totally agree that you need to keep changing. It doesn't take them long to learn there really is no threat.

The only urine I've tried was coyote to try to deter a groundhog. It did not work.

If you could fine a source, you could try spreading dog hair. I've heard that works for deer. Of course it did not work when I tried it, but you never know. My dogs are not shampooed so the hair might not have the right smell.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are a lot of those homemade repellents, soaps, dog hair human hair etc. I think so much of it is dependent on the area and the deer pressure.
Here at my property I have hostas and roses (aka deer crack) that never get touched because the deer never get that close to the house, but up where my main garden is they ate my potatoes a few years back. Potatoes were one of the things that if I was asked I would have said deer won't touch them. They never had before... :\

In town where the deer population is higher every year from new births they aren't afraid of anything that is related to human activity because they are so habituated to people and dogs etc. So all the dog or human hair, or soaps etc. don't even make them blink.

I guess my point is, that where there is no hunting pressure or normal predation it's very hard to intimidate a deer.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I totally agree that you need to keep changing. It doesn't take them long to learn there really is no threat.

The only urine I've tried was coyote to try to deter a groundhog. It did not work.

If you could fine a source, you could try spreading dog hair. I've heard that works for deer. Of course it did not work when I tried it, but you never know. My dogs are not shampooed so the hair might not have the right smell.
I just don't know where Nyboy would get dog hair, though.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is the fact that fawns have no scent when they are first born , so they lay very still where their mama left them to avoid being detected. A bobcat can only kill very young deer since their teeth are too short to do much damage to a fawn after a few weeks of age that is if they can keep up with a fleeing fawn. :hu As for the other predators' repelants mentioned , depends on location as well as predator pressure on the deer population in the area. :caf

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use coyote urine, dried blood, and moth ball flakes. I like the idea of bob cat urine. I may pick that up also.

Here is the key.....find some kind of flower pot coffee can or something that even looks cute that you can put the urine or whatever, on a paper towel and put it on the pot laying sideways. It will not wash away in the rain as fast and will stay there longer. I use something cute all over my gardens with paper towels in them. If I don't have anything I use field pots laying sideways. Then you just have to refresh the paper towel once in a while.

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes I learned that last year. I don't use much, in fact I don't think I have any more and don't plan on buying any more... But they work great for chipmunks in my rock wall.....

Latest posts