Anyone use mason bees?

havi

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ive always wanted to keep bees, but we live to close to town that I dont think it would be a good idea. But Ive been reading up on Mason Bees. Does anyone use these or know of someone who has? The main reason I want to keep them is to pollinate my veggies and flowers. Whats everyones thought on this?

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have the same question!

They look like such a good deal - pollination and they take care of themselves.

Jenny

Sprout
Reaction score
I am brand new to this board but I just had to reply to this one. Usually I lurk..I'm such a new yard person that I don't have much to add yet.

I love Mason Bees. They are wonderful little pollenators, fun to watch, completely harmless, and native to the Pacific NW. They are easy to keep, I just change my tube liners yearly to limit mite or other bug damage to the bees and Viola! friendly bees.

Mine are not active today, too cold, but these are their tubes. They've filled a bit less than half or so.

Jenny

Sprout
Reaction score
Absolutely not aggressive at all. I don't think they CAN sting, and they don't bite either. No colony to protect really. They are very simple bees compared to a honey bee. I stand close to the blocks to watch them, and they sometimes bounce off my head. They are kind of clumsy :)

I ordered mine in the mail through Knox Cellars. I get my replacement liners there too.

http://www.knoxcellars.com/

They should survive Ohio, but if you're worried, you could put the tubes in a cool garage or something after they're finished for the year, and just put them back out in early spring again before they get active.

MasonBeeBlocks.jpg

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting some of these but I was worried that would not survive the winters here in NEPA does anyone on the east cost on here have them?

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How do you feel about mason bees vs native bees? Like right now I have having pollination problems. But I don't know if I want to bring in a non-native species. Maybe I could plant a pollinator garden nearby.

I live in the west my whole life. And since moving to the south I have only one BIG qualm. The bug truck. the bug truck sprays insecticide every other night. It has not effect on the mosquitoes. I hate it and I wonder if that is why I don't have any bees.

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I guess that it can't be helping. And I would be afraid of buying bees just to have them sprayed.

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think mason bees are native bees. Honey bees are european bees.

We have a truck that sprays for mosquitos too. Don't sleep with your windows open! :sick

Latest posts