Apples and Pear Trees

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
When we got here, the old multi grafted apple trees were infested by coddling moth. I cleaned around the trucks this winter, put up traps and used the sticky stuff. Still have them on these old trees cus the baby apples all have holes.

Then yesterday I noted that the two variety of old pear had some issues. Thoughts?

fvjEp41.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if it is a mite perhaps there is a predatory mite you can use instead of insecticides...
worth a shot.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have used these nylon bags around each apple to prevent coddling moths. They work really well but you have to put them on when apples are about the size of quarter. You can order them from Peaceful Valley. I think a pack has 50 or 100.

Mary

Last edited:

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
You should get aggressive and try to get them knocked out pronto as possible. The other day we found aphids on DW 5 plum grafted trees, and starting to get on new apple trees. I went and bought malathion and sprayed them last night. There are always some on the full grown apple trees but not enough to worry about. But the plum trees were infested and starting onto the new apple trees. So good bye hope they stay gone. I will have to spray again in 10 days.

Latest posts