Apples, apples, apples ...

Jeni Ann

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We are going to (do have, already!) more apples than you can shake a stick at!
Does anyone have great ways to preserve apples?
I have had trouble finding an Apple Jam or Jelly that we really like, also. Any suggestions?
BTW we have a Macintosh, a Delicious and a Transparent.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of my trees is a Red Delicious. I know they don't make good pies, sauce or apple butter. (Not sure about your other 2 varieties on that.) They're great for eating fresh. But what I do love to use them for is regular cider, apple cider vinegar and also dehydrate them to toss in my oatmeal and such. I just use my juicer since I don't have a cider press. It works great.

See if you can look up each variety here, on this website called Orange Pippin. It should give you good recommendations of what those varieties are typically used for.

Jeni Ann

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks journey11! I'll do that.
The Delicious are a bit bland for pies or apple sauce. We like the Mac's for that. The Transparents are just SO good, but we usually don't get very many. I have been eating them right off the tree already ;)

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
  1. in a large pan, mix sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add salt and water and mix well. Bring to a boil and cook until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and add lemon juice and food coloring.
  2. Sterilize canning jars, lids and rings by boiling them in a large pot of water.
  3. Peel, core, and slice apples. Pack the sliced apples into hot canning jars, leaving a 1/2 inch headspace.
  4. Fill jars with hot syrup, and gently remove air bubbles with a knife.
  5. Put lids on and process in a water bath canner for 20 minutes.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Change Servings
  • 4 1/2 cups white sugar

• 1 cup cornstarch

• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

• 2 teaspoons salt
  • 10 cups water

• 3 tablespoons lemon juice

• 2 drops yellow food coloring
    lol I posted it backwards but I know that you'll figure it out I did process some in pint jars for an elderly friend of mine, she put 2 tsp of butter mixed with a packet of instant brown sugar and cinnamon puts it on top and warms it in her toaster oven. Says its the best! Good luck and if you need to get rid of some of those apples send them my way!
  • 6 pounds apples

Check All Add to Shopping List

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't mind winging some things but with this the measurements help. This is saved in my recipe file. Thanks.

How much does this make? 3 quarts?

Latest posts