Are these seeds viable?

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gah, forgot what this plant is already....But it flowered and now I've found some of these seed pods. I know some plants have seeds, but they aren't viable or take too much special care for them to sprout. Will these survive until Spring? Should I sprout them now and over winter in the house?
a1.jpg

a.jpg

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are the blossoms bright yellow ? If it is Scotch broom, it is very invasive . I would not aid in the spread of it.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Purple/pink flowers.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, that's part of the plant that it hangs off of. It came off while I was taking the pod off.
Of course, I've misplaced these by now... =/

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know if you've identified the plant yet @secuono , but I second @PhilaGardener 's opinion of broom.
Probably purple broom, Chamaecytisus purpurea.
The common Scotch broom (Cystisus scoparius) is the invasive species and listed as a noxious weed in most states. It has a yellow bloom.

Does this look like yours?

chamaecytisuspurpureus.jpg

Picture is from Floraveronese. net

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
no that's way too woody to be a lupine (at least, to be any of the lupines one would commonly see in a gardens, I'm not sure about the big ones like Lupinus arobreus). In any case the leaves are wrong, lupines tend to have palmate leaves not simple ones like this. Actually that's probably a clincher; comparatively few legumes have simple leaves, and brooms are one of them. My money is on Chamaecytisus purpurea, same as thistlebloom.

Latest posts