Arsenic concern in mulch

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My son looked at a beautiful house he and his wife want to buy. He showed me the water filtration system to rid the well of ARSENIC!!!I will not even begin to talk about the lunacy of buying the property because of this. The theory of the reason the well has arsenic in it was from the years of adding dyed mulch to the vast gardens. The dye on the mulch contains arsenic. Did any of you know this???? In what world would arsenic be allowed by law in a product homeowners blindly apply to their property? Anyone know anything about this?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think there was a big deal a few years ago because a man got arsenic poisoning from treated wood he used making a big deck. The "law" suspected his wife was trying to kill him.
Maybe all that supply of treated wood became mulch? It wouldn't surprise me.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
"That isn't true, according to the Mulch and Soil Council ..." So, the industry lobbying group should arrest any of your concerns.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/dangers-red-mulch-82710.html

However, "Check the label carefully to determine where the mulch came from. Mulch from treated wood, such as used pallets, can contain chromated copper arsenate, or CCA, which includes a form of arsenic." Mulch has an ingredient label??

But, fear not!

"Florida Center for Solid and Hazardous Waste Management, the red dye can actually retard the release of CCA into the soil, reducing the amount of arsenic released by 60 percent."

See, industry, lobbyists and the researchers bought and paid for, have got it "covered."

Steve
cynical and tired from running rototiller to mechanically suppress weeds

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are nearly all illegals. I've threatened them with a lawsuit.

I don't care if they came in as genes or chromosomes. Or, were born in Canada. Maybe, they will hear from my lawyers.

Canada should take them back! I'll tell you that.

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
DigitS ... you are aware that the illegals will just be represented by the civil liberty lawyers who will drag the case out for a few years, and by that time the illegals will have moved to another area or died. By the time the case moves forward, only illegals' US born offspring will be around , and as everyone knows they are then US citisens and can't be deported. :rolleyes: