Artichokes losing their color ?? ~W/Pics~

bayouchica

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hey yall, I have a few jerusalem aritcholes that are just fading out on the tops.I noticed last year it happened in the same place & now it's spread out more.
It's too late to get a pic,I can post one in the morning.
We don't use any chemicals on our yard at all.

Any ideas?
Thanks,Miriam
This is the same area where it started last year.The chickens eat the artichoke leaves.
100_5165.jpg

100_5164.jpg

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Does it affect harvest at all?

I doubt it's a nutrient deficiency since they grow well in depleted soils. It may be the shade, they don't like it much. :hu

Do you have an issue with aster leafhoppers? They cause a disease called aster yellows known to affect Helianthus.

Are there any other symptoms?

bayouchica

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi, thanks so much for your reply.I'm stumped, I've noticed other plants in our yard with this??? It's even spread to other artichokes in different places.
It starts at the tip of the leaves & goes towards the plant.
It's affecting.. artichokes,pomagrante (sp?) tree,wild dew berries, curly doc,vetch, assorted weeds I don't know their name.
This is something happening in my area ..it's in other peoples' yards,even in the farmland behind our place.I don't have a clue what they planted,but it's fading out too. At first I was thinking it could be spray from crop dusters... BUT they haven't been spraying around here at all.
It's a mystery for sure.
I didn't dig up any artichokes from that spot last year,so I don't know. That spot does get full sun for several hours.I took the pic early in the morning.
I don't know a clue about aster leafhoppers,lol.
Thanks for your help,Miriam

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This won't help you, but I think I have seen something similar. Thistles up here (which I believe are in the same family as sunflowers and jerusalem artichokes?) get a similar looking problem sometimes. It is always the tops/new growth that's affected, growing in with apparently no chlorophyll.

It seems to me like a disease of some sort and from the way it looks my money would be on being spread by sucking insects of some sort, but I do not know. (I've only seen it on various thistle spp here, and my attitude is that any enemy of the thistle is a friend of mine :))

Dunno. Does your state have a Master Gardener program you could call?

Pat

bayouchica

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'll have to do some searching to see... We have a university about an hour from here,I'm sure they could lead me in the right direction.
LOL about the thistle... I spend ALL day cleaning it out of our pasture before it seeded everything.

Latest posts