Asparagus and Sun Flowers

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been wanting to put in an asparagus bed and since I'm cutting way back on tomatoes, I'm thinking of putting it where my tomatoes usually go. (rich soil, good drainage, fence along one side, full sun)
Can anyone think of any reason that sunflowers wouldn't do well in the same space? Since I have to wait a couple of years on the yummy spears, the sunflowers would add a lot of cheer plus seed treats for the chickens and Eva.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
the only thing i could think of is once you plant the asparagus you really don't want to disturb their root system.

Last edited:

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good point. I suppose I could just cut the sunflower stalks in the fall and let the roots rot.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
plant the asparagus crowns in the middle and put the sunflowers along the back edge (behind so the asparagus gets the full sun).

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've grown SF's and asper. together in the past, but the SF's were not planted, just volunteers.
The SF seeds came in the rabbit cage litter a friend of mine used to give me, they were seeds the rabbits would miss and got cleaned out with the rest of their cages.
I would dump buckets of the litter on my asparagus bed and the SF's would come up willy nilly.
There really was no pattern to their planting and they never interfered with my asparagus!!!

THANX RICH

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've been wanting to put in an asparagus bed and since I'm cutting way back on tomatoes, I'm thinking of putting it where my tomatoes usually go. (rich soil, good drainage, fence along one side, full sun)
Can anyone think of any reason that sunflowers wouldn't do well in the same space? Since I have to wait a couple of years on the yummy spears, the sunflowers would add a lot of cheer plus seed treats for the chickens and Eva.
To plant asparagus crowns, dig trenches 12 inches long and 6 inches deep (8 inches sandy soil) down the middle of the prepared surface. Soak the crowns in the composting tea for 20 minutes before planting. Place the crowns in the trenches between 11⁄2 and 2 feet apart; cover them with 2 to 3 inches of soil.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
got schooled yesterday evening, looking on line doing some research on asparagus varieties there are some new ones out that might change my mind...

but anyway most companies that sell crowns say "all male or 90% male" which after reading many university's research articles. seems to be a crap shoot when buying from the seed stores...< you know if they write it.. it has to be true>

will use my bed of jersey giant asparagus when i planted them 15 years ago planted 10 crowns , one was female. once i'm done picking for the season of course i let them go to fern. the female sets flowers which in turn produces seed pods never give it no mind if the bugs went after the pollen...

this is the very interesting part <which i was schooled on> if you know that you have a female and once it starts to fern if you put a very fine netting over it were no bugs can get it to pollinate the flowers, the seed pods will still produce but the seeds that come out of them will be 100% male, which you can collect and start your own 100% male plants the following year, no more fingers crossed whether your getting male or mixed when purchasing from abc plant company.

so if you have time and you know that you have a female put a net over her and tie her up so nobody can pollinate her.
kind of reminds you of your daughters first boyfriend... :lol: :lol:

wheres nyboy when you need a wonderful reply. okay this should bring a smile to your face..
1587318704747.png

:rainbowflower:rainbowflower

this year have noticed that my old bed has quite a few new sprouts coming up, so i might not tear it down but just rebuild the leaning wall and let it keep producing.....

Latest posts