Asparagus cutting

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi everyone. It's been a long while and I see a bunch of new names.
I've been told to let newly planted asparagus grow for 3 years before a harvest should be made. Mine are just starting their 3rd season and the stalks are 1 to 2 ft. tall now. I'm wondering if I should cut them back to 2 or 3 inches tall to encourage root growth. A neighbor told me that I should have been doing this for the first 2 years also.
I thought I would check with you guys first. Watcha think?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome back. Good to see you. When I grew asparagus I did not harvest any the first year to encourage root growth. The idea is that the ferns produce energy to go into the roots. The second year I ate it for about six weeks before I stopped and let the ferns grow to produce energy for the next year's crop. I never cut it back until late in the year, mainly to get the stalks out of the way so I could harvest the next year's crop.

If you cut it back what is going to produce the energy to go into the roots for he next year? Heck, eat the stuff, it is good.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi everyone. It's been a long while and I see a bunch of new names.
I've been told to let newly planted asparagus grow for 3 years before a harvest should be made. Mine are just starting their 3rd season and the stalks are 1 to 2 ft. tall now. I'm wondering if I should cut them back to 2 or 3 inches tall to encourage root growth. A neighbor told me that I should have been doing this for the first 2 years also.
I thought I would check with you guys first. Watcha think?

welcome back from a newer name, but i adore your picture and it makes me smile in return. :)

my opinion is that cutting back green growth to encourage roots is a false trail in almost all regards. the annuals may not respond in the same way perennials do, but when you chop back a perennial you are reducing the energy the sun gives to the plants and in return the plant may reduce root mass to balance it back out again until the top regrows.

the exceptions i know to this are for trimming off fruits (which would take energy from the plant so to remove them reduces the strain on the plant if there is a water shortage or other issues in the environment) and to prevent seeds from forming (which to me is often a minor energy concern and is usually just done because of looks or because they don't want the plants dropping seeds all over the place).

i vote for let it grow. :)

p.s. i also agree, that in the third year you can eat some of it. enjoy!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smiles Jr. , so good to see you again! We had a conversation not too long ago about people we have missed and you and your dads names were mentioned.
I don't grow asparagus, so can't advise, but I hope you stick around.