Asparagus

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I regret digging up my asparagus last year. It stayed in a 4 x 10 box. I am wondering if not in a box, will asparagus travel far? I am thinking of planting it in a straight line in an area about 2-1/2 feet wide, but I do not want it spreading out of that area. Should I make a raised box in that area?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you are thinking about replanting them, good luck. While they will live, they will never bear as well. I read that, said, Can't be true, did it anyway, huge mistake. Should have bought new roots.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i planted from seed a few years ago, Mary Washington. i have yet to have it travel far but expect it isn't like some plants that shoot their seed many feet away. what i've read is they will stay pretty close to the area they started in. i don't have mine in any raised bed & they do fine. i hope to get a few shoots soon. last year they showed signs they are just about big enough to give me a few sizeable spears for this year.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Gardening with Rabbits have been very happy with the asparagus bed here, planted them about 13 years ago the last 3 years they have been showing signs of slowing down <not producing as much> planning on relocating the bed and starting over.

the roots will spread even in a boxed/blocked bed if your soil is sandy yup they will spread, but it will take years depending on soil conditions...

love to see what you come up with....

destinduck

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Just wanted to share I dug up and moved my whole 4x8 bed, 4 varieties and varied age from 2-6 year olds. Gave em miracle grow garden soil and they now have taken off!spears galore. whoo hoo!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad for you. I moved an old bed. Huge mistake. Should have bought new roots and started over.

Latest posts