Asparagus

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
How many of you grow asparagus? Do you feel is worth committing a whole bed or garden section to asparagus? What, if anything, do y'all plant with your asparagus?

I'm fixing to start my asparagus bed. I was just wondering if I really want to use a whole bed for just asparagus. I know it's a little late to plant asparagus, but if I can go ahead and plant now, it will give me a years grow time.

I plan on planting the purple passion. I like the taste, and it starts growing a little later than the green asparagus. Sometimes we have late freezes, so this will work well for my area. I have a few planted now, but not many.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have beds of Purple Passion and Jersey Giant. Here the Jersey Giant outperforms the Purple Passion but we are in different locations. That does not mean the Purple Passion does that badly at all just that the other produces more. They are just getting started, I've not had my first mess yet but soon unless it turns cold again.

I did not plant them in the garden but instead beds in the ground in the vicinity of the garden. Here space is not a limitation. My problem is that it is challenging to keep the grass out. Broadleaf weeds aren't too bad but grass can be a pain. But I get several weeks of eating fresh asparagus, straight out of the garden to the table. Pests are not a problem for me. To me it is worth it.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
The asparagus bed here is 16x2 planted 12 crowns. if I had the chance to do over it would be 16x4 and plant 25 we love them

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
yup love our jersey giant's at 15 years old they are showing signs of slowing down... still enough for the 3 of us...
have to keep an eye on ava she will go to the bed and help herself...

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:love,:love,:love, asparagus, we eat a lot. I tried growing it for a few years, it grew well but was never enough. I had it in a 4x6' raised bed, I'd need a field of those yummy stalks to satisfy us, so we have to buy:(. I'd say we eat it once and sometimes twice a week ALL year long.

Annette

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Henless, I have a dedicated 25' X 4' raised bed for them behind the main garden. We grow the 'Jersey Knight' variety, which do very well here in south central Texas.

asparagus_031518-jpg.25040

asparagus_bed_112514-jpg.5268

Last edited:

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Henless, I have a dedicated 25' X 4' raised bed for them behind the main garden. We grow the 'Jersey Knight' variety, which do very well here in south central Texas.

asparagus_031518-jpg.25040

asparagus_bed_112514-jpg.5268

What can I say, just looking at your asparagus has me :drool.ing.
And... :thyour raised beds have me green with envy.

Annette

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think wr_ranch has the most perfect garden. Everything is so neat, organized, and pretty.

wr_ranch, do you have layers? I bet their coop is gorgeous. I'd like to see a picture of it if you have one.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we just had asparagus, mushroom and onion soup and i put mine over homemade toast well browned with plenty of butter. yum indeedy.

if you have room for it and the soil for it with enough sun, i'd go for it. i could eat a lot more of it, but we don't grow it here. like fresh peas, most if wouldn't even make it in from the garden before it got et. :)

Latest posts