Autumn is coming.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know it doesn't feel like autumn with 90+ degree heat. But it's coming.

latesummerharvest2009.jpg

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow

Rosalind, your beautiful photograph looks like one of those wonderful old 'still life paintings' of fruit & baskets etc.
You are obviously having a great harvest. :bouquet

:rose Hattie :rose

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, that's real pretty, Rosalind!

I was just noticing yesterday that my pumpkins are starting to turn yellow! I've grown Rock Star for the last few years because I've had problems with them maturing in my garden. Rock Star matures almost too early.

We just had 95, day before yesterday. Actually, it was 98 in my garden according to the nearest weather station. I wasn't out there, no ma'am.

There are new lettuce transplants with radish and mustard seedlings. The snow peas are up and growing. I need to get some bok choy seed in the ground and this year, for the first time - spinach, for over-wintering!!

My last planting of green beans are growing rambunctiously. Soon, they will flower. It's always a little sad to finish picking the last of the green beans. They have such a long season of succession plantings.

Here, we have already gone from a 16 hour day, on June 21st, to a 14 hour day. By the end of September it will be 12 hours for everyone. Ten hours about the first of November here. And, December solstice here will have 8 hours of daylight! Aaarrrgghh!

Steve

edited to say, Oh gosh, Oxford is at 51North! Hattie won't even have 8 hours of sun.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It actually really feels like fall here today - only a high of 75 or so! It's been a really strange summer because it's generally been highs around 80 instead of 90, as is usual. I planted lettuce seeds a few weeks ago, and just planted spinach, carrots, beets & radishes. I might have to cover up the carrots before the first frost, but that's OK. :)

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am iffy on the autumn. From my memories (of like one year ago) it didn't get cold here to late November. So I think I have a while to go. I think I even started my broccoli too soon.