[b]How do you clean your carrots?[b]

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score

I love growing carrots, but hate the cleaning. The soil in my garden is clay-like so when I harvest, the carrots are quite muddy. There must be an easier way than hosing, soaking and scrubbing....please tell me there is.....

Anne

Doodle Do

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Sorry, I cant tell you there is an easier way. I just hose off, throw some in a bucket of water and rub with my hands, toss in another bucket of water and seal save. But I dont have clay dirt, so not sure of this will help.

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here's how we do it. This also works with red beets, radishes, potatoes and actualy, any large quantities of veggies that need cleaned and or prepped.
We joyfully thank God in prayer for all that He has blessed us with in the harvest and ya know what ? It jist puts joy into each and every one of our harvestin' and or cannin' chores. Makes 'em fun even :rainbow-sun :tools

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I hope someone has a better solution also. I found it helps to do all that hosing and scrubbing right after digging them up, but it still is a lot of hard work, especially when the carrots are crooked or split.

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, I have discovered something that I want to pass along. I bought a pair of rough shower gloves/mitts, (the kind that you can use to slough off dead skin while you are in the shower with a gel or soap) I bought them at a Bed and Bath outlet, but I believe I have seen them in Walmart and Target in the bath products section. They are made of a rough, almost plastic like material.

I dug some carrots, put on my gloves, and was able to clean them more thoroughly in a bucket of water just rubbing my hands together. A lot easier and faster than using a scrub brush. And they do a pretty good job.
Anne

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I remember an old landlady telling me to put them in the washer on the rinse cycle after rinsing them off. Don`t remember if it worked!:happy_flower

unclejoe

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I dug out most of the soil (in the carrot area) and replaced it with sand about 10" deep. They rinse right off and grow nice and straight.

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Put them in a bucket full of water, let them soak, dump them on the lawn and spray them with the hose.
It works with potatoes! :happy_flower

Latest posts