1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Cleaning the Water Cooler - How do you clean yours?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Baking~ Are you```

Discussion in 'The Harvest: Recipes, Canning, Preserving' started by valley ranch, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Oct 31, 2017
    valley ranch

valley ranch Garden Addicted

Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
    IMG_0626.JPG IMG_0627.JPG IMG_0628.JPG

Last picture is taken with a flash~I know you'd wash the top with egg~but I had only 2 eggs~ I put them in the mix~forgetting to save some for the top```

Question is~ are you baking~ I hate what is available~ that is called bread```

The last picture is taken with a Flash~that's why they don't looked fully baked```

I bet you bake beautiful loves```

2. Nov 1, 2017
    Beekissed

Beekissed Garden Master

I rarely ever bake my bread into loaves unless it's banana nut bread and that's always in loaves. I don't do an egg wash on my bread either...I don't care how it looks, as long as it tastes good. I bet yours tasted good, huh, Valley?

I bake mine into sandwich roles...flat roles that can be cut open for toasting or sandwiches. I've found they stay moist longer this way and I can freeze them well for later.

100_3624.jpg 100_3623.jpg

3. Nov 1, 2017
    baymule

baymule Garden Master

I have made bread, but not lately. I even have a grain mill and make corn meal and flour. I really need to get back to baking bread. I did make a couple of loaves of zucchini bread Sunday. I'm out of cornmeal, need to make some more.

4. Nov 1, 2017
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

I made 2 mini loaves of banana nut bread yesterday. It was a new recipe I was trying that had a strudel on top. There was so many things going on while I was doing them that I forgot the butter that was melting in the microwave for the strudel. No wonder my daughter said it smelled like butter when she came in. :\

As far as regular bread goes, I used to bake our weekly loaves but haven't done that in a while. I really need to go back to doing that since I have plenty of bread flour in the freezer.

I also need to start practicing making rolls for Thanksgiving.

Mary

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  5. Nov 1, 2017
    Beekissed

Beekissed Garden Master

I usually only make banana nut bread when we get too many bananas in the freezer! :D When they start to go bad around here, I'll toss them in the freezer until we get enough to do a double batch of the bread. They come out of the freezer perfect for the recipe, being already softened and easy to mash when thawed out.

6. Nov 1, 2017
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

I buy only the amount of bananas that we will eat. I really need to buy the single ones that are bagged and that are cheaper. They are usually too ripe for me for general eating but I guess I should just let them ripen a couple more days and freeze them. I'll try to remember that Bee! :)

Mary

7. Nov 1, 2017
    aftermidnight

aftermidnight Garden Addicted

I haven't baked bread in a long time, but I used to make facaccia bread topped with herbs and sea salt quite often, along with ciabatta the later is like working with silly putty. The last time DS2 was up for a visit I gave him my baking stone, he being a chef will get more use out of it then it has here in the last couple of years.

Annette

8. Nov 1, 2017
    journey11

journey11 Garden Master

Haven't made it recently, but I love focaccia bread. Now you guys have me totally craving carbs! Well, that, and this frigid weather. Here's a pic of some I made with wild garlic (ramps). I also love it with a little caramelized onion on top. And lots of kosher salt! :drool
    [​IMG]

I have a 4-H bake sale to bake for here in two weeks. I usually end up baking all day and night for it, but I am going to try to mitigate that this year and will plan to make and form the dough and freeze it ahead of time as the day approaches, then bake the night before. I make Lion House rolls and big cinnamon rolls and also some fudge. They sell very well, and make it worth all the effort.

9. Nov 1, 2017
    aftermidnight

aftermidnight Garden Addicted

:drool yep, that bread looks down right mouth watering, I don't think we have ramps around here, at least I haven't heard of anyone collecting them.

Annette

10. Nov 1, 2017
    valley ranch

valley ranch Garden Addicted

Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
    Very nice good for you~ baking takes so little time for what you get~ and carbs~ It's what you put on bread that adds up``

I like bread with every thing~

What's a ramp```

pippomky75, ducks4you and journey11 like this.