1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Rugosa Rose problems and questions - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

baking soda & hiccups

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bj taylor, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Dec 22, 2013
    bj taylor

bj taylor Garden Ornament

dh has had a cold/sinus infection over the last few days. today, he's had the hiccups most of the day. just on impulse I gave him a small glass of warm water (about 1/4 cup) with 2 heaping tbsp. of baking soda stirred in. I thought perhaps the drainage had created an acidic thing in his stomach & a little alkaline might help. the hiccups stopped instantly. I was so surprised because I thought, IF it works, it will take a little time. now. two hours later, they're back. I'm going to try it again because the baking soda won't hurt him. it's a curious thing.

2. Dec 22, 2013
    journey11

journey11 Garden Master

I usually suck in as much air as I can and hold my breath for a bit. Supposed to stretch out your diaphram and make it quit spazzing. DD6 heard on one of her shows that you can drink a big glass of water very slowly and that's supposed to work. I've not tried it, but maybe it's similar. BJ, I'll try your way next time too!

3. Dec 22, 2013
    Smart Red

Smart Red Garden Master

I have an adaption on Journey11's 'cure'. Suck in as much air as you can, hold you breath as long as you can, then suck in a bit more and swallow. Now breathe. It works every time for me.

4. Dec 22, 2013
    bj taylor

bj taylor Garden Ornament

update. dh had the hiccups recur two more times. I was concerned about too much baking soda, so I cut the amt each time. they instantly stopped each time for about and hour. the last time was just before he went to sleep, I gave him just 1/2 tsp in a little warm water. quit instantly & didn't come back. I don't know if it works for all hiccups - some may be caused by different reasons - & therefore won't respond to this - but I was amazed at the instant result. once he drank it - not one more hiccup

5. Dec 22, 2013
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

I have a friend who swears a raw onion cut in half next to person all night, will cure any sinus problem. I never tried it but easly enough.

6. Dec 23, 2013
    Carol Dee

Carol Dee Garden Master

Hiccup cures are interesting. No misery like the hiccup that won't leave. I find drinking from the back of the glass works!

7. Dec 23, 2013
    nachoqtpie

nachoqtpie Deeply Rooted

Whenever I have hiccups, I hold my breath and swallow 3 times. Does the trick every time.

8. Dec 23, 2013
    curly_kate

curly_kate Garden Addicted

I'm a big proponent of chugging a glass of water as fast as possible. Sometimes it takes 2 tries, but it always works. Which is good, because hiccups make me nearly homicidal. HATE HATE HATE them!