baking soda & hiccups

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
dh has had a cold/sinus infection over the last few days. today, he's had the hiccups most of the day. just on impulse I gave him a small glass of warm water (about 1/4 cup) with 2 heaping tbsp. of baking soda stirred in. I thought perhaps the drainage had created an acidic thing in his stomach & a little alkaline might help. the hiccups stopped instantly. I was so surprised because I thought, IF it works, it will take a little time. now. two hours later, they're back. I'm going to try it again because the baking soda won't hurt him. it's a curious thing.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I usually suck in as much air as I can and hold my breath for a bit. Supposed to stretch out your diaphram and make it quit spazzing. DD6 heard on one of her shows that you can drink a big glass of water very slowly and that's supposed to work. I've not tried it, but maybe it's similar. BJ, I'll try your way next time too!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have an adaption on Journey11's 'cure'. Suck in as much air as you can, hold you breath as long as you can, then suck in a bit more and swallow. Now breathe. It works every time for me.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
update. dh had the hiccups recur two more times. I was concerned about too much baking soda, so I cut the amt each time. they instantly stopped each time for about and hour. the last time was just before he went to sleep, I gave him just 1/2 tsp in a little warm water. quit instantly & didn't come back. I don't know if it works for all hiccups - some may be caused by different reasons - & therefore won't respond to this - but I was amazed at the instant result. once he drank it - not one more hiccup

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hiccup cures are interesting. No misery like the hiccup that won't leave. I find drinking from the back of the glass works!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm a big proponent of chugging a glass of water as fast as possible. Sometimes it takes 2 tries, but it always works. Which is good, because hiccups make me nearly homicidal. HATE HATE HATE them!