Baptisia and Jacob's Ladder Seeds to Share

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have a bunch of Baptisia australis pods ready. If you would like some seed, message me your mailing info and I will get some off to you as soon as I can get them picked and packed.

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/plants/landscape/flowers/hgic1184.html ... (my linker thingy isn't working)

Picture 11120 1.jpg

Picture 13214.jpg

Also some Jacob's Ladder (polemonium) seed I harvested this year.

I've had great luck with winter sowing both of these.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lavender, I had several germinate from the ones I got from you last time and I got them planted out in my flowerbed, but they did not grow very much. They're about 8" tall and gangly. They're in a part-sun bed with pretty good soil. Is there anything I should do for them otherwise? I'm hoping they'll at least come back next year and take off.

ETA: The article said they keep growing each year. So this must be normal for them then...

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lavender, I had several germinate from the ones I got from you last time and I got them planted out in my flowerbed, but they did not grow very much. They're about 8" tall and gangly. They're in a part-sun bed with pretty good soil. Is there anything I should do for them otherwise? I'm hoping they'll at least come back next year and take off.

ETA: The article said they keep growing each year. So this must be normal for them then...

Just keep them well watered for the first year or so. Usually my seedling get 12-18" the first year. They may die back all the way in winter and grow back from the roots. Watch for shoots very early in Spring. The second year I've had them get about 3' tall and I've had a few bloom the second year, some the third.

I have mine in full sun, and the soil is far from good, sandy and fast draining (the garden in the pic). They are well established though, they've been there more than 10 years and I don't do anything but break the dead sticks off in Spring when I see the new shoots coming up. Glad the seeds did well for you!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
PM-ing you my address, would love to have some! They are beautiful and I love that they come back year after year. Will livestock or deer eat them?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will mark their location and look forward to what they may do next year. :)

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
PM-ing you my address, would love to have some! They are beautiful and I love that they come back year after year. Will livestock or deer eat them?
I have not run across any livestock warnings for Baptisia. This year is the first time I noticed the deer had nibbled on the new growth, but they recovered and bloomed well.

A friend of mine who lives near Texarkana has had good luck with Baptisia that I sent her, and I think at least one strain is a native plant in Texas(?) I hope they do well for you! I love that they make a nice looking shrub even when they are not blooming. I also have not had a problem with them self-seeding and becoming a nuisance, even though I don't remove the pods every year.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
When is the best time to plant these? Winters here are usually mild, can get in the 20's and even snow once in awhile. Do I just sow them in selected spot in the fall? Like now? Or wait until spring?