Basal Shoots Propagation

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Another surprisingly easy way to duplicate autumn Aster.

In fact, not only Aster - I also got a new autumn raspberry from pulling out a rooted young shoot. That raspberry will be ready to produce next year.

Aster dumosus 'Prof. Anton Kippenberg' - This photo is from the internet and shows what it looks like.
1667564634206.png

I didn't expect to do these - I just wanted to clean the raised bed for the arrival of new tulip bulbs. However, I decided to remove the asters somewhere else. Their roots are amazingly active (aggressive?). Now I understand why many perennial plants need to be divided after a certain time. But those Asters are planted only this spring!
310.jpg

Anyway, I harvested a lot of such basal shoot cuttings and started propagating them in the 7~9cm nursery pots.
312.jpg

Compared with softwood cuttings, basal shoots are much more efficient for multiplying Asters quickly. It takes the three tiny softwood cuttings two months to grow a very small root, which is not recommended.
309.jpg

It's not complicated - just trim the upper roots and pot them on.
303.jpg

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yes asters are aggressive growers, they are one of the weeds i have to keep after or they will take over perennial gardens. once those roots get established it's tough to get them removed from around other plants. we have wild asters wandering around the neighborhood's ditches and other areas too.

the sad thing is that when i've grown asters as a specific planting here they get eaten by bugs and look pretty sad so we've stopped trying to plant them on purpose.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
yes asters are aggressive growers, they are one of the weeds i have to keep after or they will take over perennial gardens. once those roots get established it's tough to get them removed from around other plants. we have wild asters wandering around the neighborhood's ditches and other areas too.

the sad thing is that when i've grown asters as a specific planting here they get eaten by bugs and look pretty sad so we've stopped trying to plant them on purpose.
True, I noticed that their roots are stretching among Dahlia's tubers.

I have one doubt for Aster. Two major varieties, both perennials, are quite tall (at least 80cm ) when they blossom. If I pinch them in the early stage of growing, will the plants be shorter and bushier like other annual flowers?

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When we bought the house, I used chicken wire to divide the garden into several areas. My next 3-year project is to replace those wires with trees and shrubs - living borders from propagated plants. :D

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
True, I noticed that their roots are stretching among Dahlia's tubers.

I have one doubt for Aster. Two major varieties, both perennials, are quite tall (at least 80cm ) when they blossom. If I pinch them in the early stage of growing, will the plants be shorter and bushier like other annual flowers?

i have no answer to that, because if i'm at all involved with the plant is in the realm of full removal.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I may try this, AFTER I successfully Grow some aster!
@flowerbug sent me some milkweed seeds. We get Monarch butterflies every year. They always find some of my flowers to eat on during the Spring and Summer, but I understand that asters are a preferred food during the Fall.
Something ELSE I will pick your brain on! :lol:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
2023.02.09 Aster dumosus 'Prof. Anton Kippenberg'

The upper parts didn't grow much but maintained as healthy as they could be. The root systems are growing very well and can be transplanted as long as the soil is ready in another month.

I will start feeding them with seaweed extract.
2776.jpg

Latest posts