Basil Going to seed

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know with some herbs the flavor is stronger/better if harvested before it blooms. Sage is one that comes to mind. But I've never found that to be a problem with basil. If I don't have too many plants, I make a point to prune them back and remove the blooms, just to have it a bit longer. You can go ahead and cut some and freeze it if you think it's on the decline. Drying is ok too, but I think the flavor is better with frozen.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
IME it does taste a little different-and-not-quite-as-good once the flowers have actually matured and started to go to seed; but it is still quite edible in a pesto or as an ingredient in another type of sauce or similar thing.

If it is only just starting to flower, it tastes just as good that way but do pinch off ALL the flower buds to set it back and force a (smaller) new cohort of leaves to grow out.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have no problem with mine, other then the spicy globe variety seems to start to yellow when going to seed and there are less leaves for a few weeks. Then new growth starts and I just use that.

I see no differences in the basil I use to cook with... I rarely use fresh basil this time of year since I have no fresh lettuce to mix salads where I like my fresh basil :(

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You really don't need to harvest it now. It is so much better right out of the garden. If you pinch off those flowers, it will produce for you, right until fall. Then you can harvest the whole plant if you want. Freezing in oil is usually the best way to save basil. It loses so much of it's flavor when dried. Enjoy your basil! It is my absolute favorite!

craftsmaster

Sprout
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
My basil is going to seed. Can I still harvest it or will it taste bad now?
When harvesting this plant for medicinal purposes, be sure that the ones you choose are "sticky." This indicates the presence of resin which is its active healing ingredient.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah like lesa said you don't have to pick all the basil now. If any flowers appear just pinch them off, leaving them on will cause the energy of the basil plant to go into seed production which will lower the yield of the leaves. I have to try putting some basil leaves in oil for use for the winter never tried that before, sounds interesting.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Fresh basil is so easy to start I just plant a few every couple of weeks wherever I have a space open and let most of the older ones bloom for the bees. They love basil too.
BTW, do any of you beekeepers know what basil honey tastes like?

Latest posts