Baymule's 2015 Garden From Raw Land

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We moved in February 14, unpacked truck, U-Haul, and trailer February 15. As the last few things came off the trailer, it started to rain. It didn't let up for a month and a half. We were treated to ice storms, snow, rain, thunderstorms, more snow and more rain. FINALLY the sun peeped out. By this time I was just about a raving lunatic, looking at a big weed, tree saplings, and dense brair vine thicket that dared to grow in my future garden.

Our good neighbor, Robert, came to help break up the ground. Since he volunteered his time, he got the tractor, I got the wagon. I pulled roots and picked up glass shards. We made a big burn pile of roots and briars. Found all kinds of metal, from ancient car parts to forks. The joke became, "there's a truck buried under here! " We worked for days. One day, I was so tired after Robert left, I dragged myself to the house and drove the car to the chicken coop!

Robert used the tractor bucket to dig holes and slowly dump the dirt. I dug out huge briar bulbs and put on the burn pile. We sifted the dirt as he smoothed it back out.

We hooked up the disc and I had a blast dragging it through the new garden. It is ready to plant now. It took a couple of weeks of preparation and I know I will still have weeds to battle, but it looks so good now!

My husband and I went to Tyler to a grass seed company and bought a 25 pound bucket of mixed Bermuda seed. I disced up the pipeline right of way and planted the seed. Hopefully by end of summer, we'll have a good pasture for the horses. He and I put up the 60' round pen for our grand daughter to ride in, and we burned the burn pile. It's like being on vacation, we're having so much fun!

I promise pictures when I can get to a computer.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have your garden plot ready! :ya
At least we know you have your priorities straight.

That little Kubota will make all that hard work you have left a little bit easier. But it's definitely going to earn it's keep isn't it?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
You continue doing all that hard work. Sounds like it's starting to look like a homestead. The home is done, the garden is plotted, and the pasture has been started. I can't wait for pictures. When will you have a computer and internet?

Mary

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
:popWaiting.... Can't wait to see all the great things you have accomplished. :)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
So happy that things are falling into place for you after all the trials and tribulations you've been through. Of course, 'falling into place' involves as much work or more than you already have done.

Forevermore, when someone says, "It can't be done," I'll think of @bay mule and know, "Yes, it can!"

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
glad to hear things are moving along..
so you have one of those gardens that have a old dump site, you got to love it.....my main garden has been burping up glass, auto parts, odd household things for many years.still waiting for jimmy hoffa's body to pop up...
keep after those briar roots they will sprout..

all in all sounds like you and the family are going to have a wonderful place... waiting on a ton of photos...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was wondering why you were so quiet, Bay'.
  • Imagined that you were tired from your move.
  • Feeling out-of-place or overwhelmed with your new surroundings.
  • Under the weather.
  • Dismayed with your internet connectivity.
  • Enjoying a grandkid too much.
Might have been all of the above along with being too dang busy!

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is some real progress! How very exciting. Can' t wait to see pictures of your piece of paradise!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Now I'm embarrassed, we moved in July last year and all I managed to get done is one flower bed so far! Not sure whether a veggie bed will happen this spring or not, too many travel plans... Good hard work baymule!