Beautiful Garden

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Mom, DH, and I worked in the garden last night (late afternoon) and I will have to say our garden is one of the nicest around. We fertilized and added some more lime to some things. I chopped out the biggest corn for probably the last time, waist high, then put in another dozen sweet potato plants where we had run out last week. We will stick the beans on Saturday. Cabbage is about ready to eat. We probably won't plant anything else except some field peas once we pull up the green peas until late summer. Tomatoes are coming on really good. Maybe big tomatoes in a week or two but enjoying the Sungold till then. We are having squash, zucchini, potatoes, onions,green peas about every night for supper. NICE! I picked our first raspberries and blueberries yesterday but the strawberries are gone. I need to renovate the strawberry bed next week, going to wait until this heat wave is through wit us. Happy gardening friends!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:clap we are still planting being further north then you... I get envious when I hear that the harvest is under way... but I won't leave New England so I shouldnt complain...

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
the week it is 102 and 99% humidity the week before it rains for two weeks straight

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
retiredwith4acres said:
Mom, DH, and I worked in the garden last night (late afternoon) and I will have to say our garden is one of the nicest around. We fertilized and added some more lime to some things. I chopped out the biggest corn for probably the last time, waist high, then put in another dozen sweet potato plants where we had run out last week. We will stick the beans on Saturday. Cabbage is about ready to eat. We probably won't plant anything else except some field peas once we pull up the green peas until late summer. Tomatoes are coming on really good. Maybe big tomatoes in a week or two but enjoying the Sungold till then. We are having squash, zucchini, potatoes, onions,green peas about every night for supper. NICE! I picked our first raspberries and blueberries yesterday but the strawberries are gone. I need to renovate the strawberry bed next week, going to wait until this heat wave is through wit us. Happy gardening friends!
Wonderful! It does sound like you have a beautiful garden retired. My tomatoes are looking good, my corn is about 5' tall and I think I'm going to have an abundance of peppers! Enjoy!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
5star.gif

'4acres, your garden is inspiring for us. Right now, the picture you paint is only a mental image and a memory. It almost seems like an ancient memory.

I put the tomatoes in the garden yesterday. Decided that 49 would do for the moment. Came home to learn that the Weather Service had issued a Wind Advisory for "damaging" winds for Friday. I looked at specifics and they have now gone from 32mph gusts to 28mph gusts locally. I'm breathing a little easier. The front is supposed to be here at 8am and continue. The future looks okay. It only dropped below 40F one morning over the last 7 days but warmth hasn't yet arrived - even in the forecast. Well, I'll take that back! It should be above 70 by mid week :cool:.

Soon, it will be warmer and I can hope that June will be warm and not a repeat of Junuary, 2011. It would make all the difference in the world for my gardens! July will bring the heat and by the last week of the month, it should be in the 90's. In August, that will continue for a couple weeks anyway.

When I awoke at 4am this morning, I noticed that it was light outside. I am so used to getting up in darkness but that's all changing! I used to drive down a long country road a little after 4am on many mornings thru the summer. During those months, I would often pass a small pickup heading the opposite direction. At 4:30am, the driver would not have his headlights on. I wonder if many of the people reading this have that kind of experience where they live . . . Of course, I will be going to bed at 9:30pm with lots & lots of daylight :rolleyes:.

By September, I will be struggling to find enuf hours of daylight to finish tasks. Harvest time . . . but my harvest time has already begun :) mostly because I enjoy green veggies and grow some of them in a plastic tunnel. Oh, that tunnel only has about another 4 weeks before it's pulled down. But, I've been eating Red Orache out of the garden that self-sowed last fall for 3 weeks now :p.

Yeah, I used to be one of those guys out there running a combine in the dark, unloading into a truck while cutting my way thru the wheat. Did you know that we often couldn't get started until about 11am because of moisture on the wheat? No, it wasn't the life for a morning person - I'll take my cereal with breakfast and my greens for lunch. But, there will be potatoes and sweet corn, by 'n' by. The Sangre red potatoes are above ground. So are most of the Sugar Snow sweet corn!

I guess some of you will see your garden season wind down soon. The only thing that winds down for me is that I can't plant more seed for greens in July & early August :). I may get a little frustrated along in there, somewhere :/. Hopefully, the Sungold cherry tomatoes from plants that I put out yesterday will be along soon enuf during that time to keep me from starvation :p.

Steve

Latest posts