Bee Mite Increases Pesticide Sensivity in Bees

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Interesting article on a nasty mite that targets a fatty organ on a bee that serves as both a toxic filter sort of like your liver, and as store of energy. I goes a long way in explaining colony collapse and the new sensitivity to chemistry the bees have successfully navigated in the past decades.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder too, if, conversely, the constant barrage of pesticides make them less able to fight the effects of the mites. This is an interesting article.

I got distracted by the website. Never heard of it before. I signed up for the updates to come to my inbox. I couldn't tell if the site has any political or weird mission statement agenda. So far, seems to be strictly informational.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wonder too, if, conversely, the constant barrage of pesticides make them less able to fight the effects of the mites. This is an interesting article.

I got distracted by the website. Never heard of it before. I signed up for the updates to come to my inbox. I couldn't tell if the site has any political or weird mission statement agenda. So far, seems to be strictly informational.
Never forget George Carlin saying never join a group!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
a local bee keeper ships his bees all over the place, i'm sure that adds stress to them that they'd otherwise not have, but also would be spreading diseases around. there are some semi-feral bee populations around that may eventually be able to develop resistance to the mites, but current practices seem to be geared towards spending $ for treatments instead of breeding or finding resistant bees or changing methods to discourage mite populations (smaller cells, bees with better grooming habits, etc).

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting article on a nasty mite that targets a fatty organ on a bee that serves as both a toxic filter sort of like your liver, and as store of energy. I goes a long way in explaining colony collapse and the new sensitivity to chemistry the bees have successfully navigated in the past decades.
I am curios about the statement of bees successfully navigating chemistry. 6 types of bees are considered endangered.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am curios about the statement of bees successfully navigating chemistry. 6 types of bees are considered endangered.
The article gave me the impression that the fatty organ acting as a filter for the bee allowed for a situation where bees were exposed to the same agricultural chemistry such as pesticides and herbicides without appreciable effect in decades past, but with the rise of this organ targeting mite their ability to resist the same old chemicals has been altered by the mites, as well as them not being able to store energy in that same fatty organ, assuming this has something to do with their internal foodstore and thus some form of starvation or weakening at some point in the annual life cycle. I would take that to be off season myself but have not read anything on the subject of the annualized timing of colony collapse or anything on that idea.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The article gave me the impression that the fatty organ acting as a filter for the bee allowed for a situation where bees were exposed to the same agricultural chemistry such as pesticides and herbicides without appreciable effect in decades past, but with the rise of this organ targeting mite their ability to resist the same old chemicals has been altered by the mites, as well as them not being able to store energy in that same fatty organ, assuming this has something to do with their internal foodstore and thus some form of starvation or weakening at some point in the annual life cycle. I would take that to be off season myself but have not read anything on the subject of the annualized timing of colony collapse or anything on that idea.
I am not sure they really have an answer for colony collapse.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Humans with a measurable "load" of pesticide in our body tissue ..

. Cleaner environment resistance by nearly every moneyed interest ..

. Life has become more complicated since the earlier age of avarice rascals. Oh ..!

Steve

Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk.
~ HD Thoreau

Latest posts