Bees

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My nephew has been driving me crazy, all he can talk about is bee keeping. I told him before I would invest 1 penny he had to take some classes in Bee keeping. House across the street was bought to become a bee farm. My nephew asked if I thought it would be a good idea to get a part time job there to learn about bees. Today he was doing some yard work, saw the new owner outside and went to talk to them. A husband and wife who spent over a hour answering his questions. Don't know if telling truth but said 500 hives grosses them $200,000 a year.They offered to set up and take care of hives on my property ( what I was hoping for) my nephew said no, he sees it as someone taking money from him. They offered to give him bees and advice when he ready ( to late this year) Good news is I had a budget of $1,000 to start up business if he stuck with it, they told him start up cost about $500 :clap:clap He is on web now looking for classes. He checked tax map the bee farm and I have same amount of property, hope he not spending $200,000 in his head yet.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't mean to be a negative Nancy but I don't put much faith in your nephew's hobbies. I would approach the owners and give them permission to put hives in your property in exchange for some honey. All the can say is no.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like it that you are giving him a chance to educate himself and prove he will go the distance. Worst case scenario you are out some money and you still get the neighbors to put hives on your place. Best case scenario, he finds his passion and turns this into a lifelong hobby/business that benefits himself, you and the environment.

I call that a cheap investment for so much potential return. Please keep us updated on his progress and I'd give him all the encouragement you can...it's an honorable goal he's got. Not going to make him that much money but it's still satisfying to raise bees...there's just something about them that's as old as time, a trust that forms between the bees and the beekeeper that's just golden.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why not talk to bee keeper next door about tutoring your nephew with his bees? He gets a real education and no money lost and FREE local honey.... win, win, win

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe he will stick with the bees, they are very interesting. It is one of our gardening goals here, when we get caught up on all the other items on the list.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
He has been reading everything he can about bees. All he talked about this weekend. The neighbor kind of did offer to teach him, told him to come over anytime. I think when the neighbor saw my flower beds he became worried about me spraying insecticide, was very happy I don't spray.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your neighbor has it wrong. If you see flowers, no spray. No flowers, lawn probably sprayed.

Latest posts