Beets

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Pickled beets are something we ate often growing up in PA. Everyone kept a huge jug of them in the fridge, and every so often you toss in some hardboiled eggs to get pickled eggs. Yum.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you will enjoy them! I like having them on hand- add a little something fun to an evening meal. I need to try the pickled eggs this year...goodness knows I have too many eggs! Keep us posted....

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
So far the beets are looking good. I may have enough to pickle and to give some to Dad, He really likes his beets and is not growing a garden this summer. The recipe Dad used was just equal amounts of vinegar and sugar. Sound right?

happy acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The recipe I used called for boiling the beets, then saving the water, and using equal amounts beet water and vinager. Then adding a Tbsp sugar for each cup liquid, a tsp salt, and cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp cloves.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
We love beets just the way they are after washing and cooking. No pickling necessary. For my grands I add a touch of honey to both cooked beets and cooked carrots, although, carrots are seldom cooked around here. Don't think I ever had them pickled.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I cook beets I do it like @Smart Red . Just boil them and peel them, then cut into serving sizes. If I get fancy for guests, I make a glaze of honey, vinegar and some type of juice, usually orange or apple.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of my beet roots will get big enough for pickling or slicing and glazing. One of my jobs is to not allow them to reach that size ;).

I start by delaying the thinning as late as I can. Then, I'll carry even the ridiculously small ones in for Baby Beets!

This is about my favorite vegetable. Roots about marble size are just about perfect. Of course, I'm eating the entire plant. I'm okay with the larger beets but the leaves on those leave quite a bit to be desired.

Steve

Latest posts