Best brussel sprouts

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was still picking brussels sprouts as of a couple of days ago even after blistering cold temperatures. So who knew my 3 little grandsons "Yove Bwussel Spwouts." I have never had fabulous luck with them. Though tasty they are very small. I would love to get the large size you see in photos and the super market.
So. Who knows the trick to getting large and prolific brussels sprouts? The ones lower on the stem do not form well. They are open and never round up. I have tried many varieties. Best variety? Conditions? Tricks?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think it was majorcatfish who grew the awesomest brussels sprouts. photos were on a post a week or two ago.

but if your small ones were super delicious, maybe that's best :)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought of that, Marshall. But so few fully formed enough to eat, compared with what was there. Maybe there is an element I am lacking in the soil.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cole crops need for a trace, i think its boron. a deficiency of boron shows as holes in the leaves not made by bugs.

Reactions: Hal

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
sorry all screwed up my back and neck this afternoon at work, so chilling on ice packs once getting over this will do a great reply...

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ouch! Get well soon Major! :frow

Excited to read your reply, I grew brussel sprouts once and couldn't figure out how to get them to a good size either. That and we had armies of cabbage loopers marched over our brassicas at our old place so I just said forget it. We don't have nearly as many cabbage loopers here though.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cole crops need for a trace, i think its boron. a deficiency of boron shows as holes in the leaves not made by bugs.

Marshall hit the nail on the head. The two most common problems are temperature and boron deficiency.
Marshall I think your right about boron deficiency which leads to small open/loose sprouts. High temperature also leads to open loose sprouts but also bad flavour as it is best to have sprouts mature during cool weather with light frost if possible as they mature nice and tight and the frost improves the flavour significantly much like with Kale.
catjac1975 you mentioned cold temperatures so I'd go with Marshall and the boron deficiency.

TheSeedObsesser, if the loopers become a problem again invest in some row covers or the like as they will end up paying for themselves.

Latest posts