Best Choices.

Which of these two flowers do you prefer?

• Sticking to the basics with Daffodils.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Going a little fanicer with Peonies.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Happy Hen

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hello everybody! Looks like I have not been on here in a while. Well, I revamped my profile page and photo a bit in hopes to revive my activity. Over here at the Knickerbocker Barn things have been really busy. Albeit hopefully now that the necessities are out of the way (country life's unpredictable though) I have some time for doing what I love. Flower gardening. Now this isn't only for my wishes, it's for the beloved pollinators and birds I most enjoy including the Gold Finches with their love of sunflowers. I have three pots with different flowers in them and two flower beds against the foundation full of thyme and Black-Eyed Susan's and such. Two pots for experimenting and one I have long grown. In hopes to set up a small rock raised flower bed to add on to my collection, I need some ideas. Perennials have more pros than annuals... but I'm starting to change that theory. My best of luck last year was with annuals (Maine patterns I tell ya). Which should I use for this rock garden? I really want to grow Inpatients because my Grandmother, so my Dad told me, absolutely loved them. But they're annual. What are YOUR opinions? Thank you so much!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have your climate so won't make specific recommendations. I don't know what does well in your area. What is perennial for me might be annual for you. I'd think you have some outstanding choices.

The way I approach one landscape bed it to go with certain perennials in certain areas and infill with annuals to add color. I have lilies, lemon balm, shasta daisy, and some plant with a blue flower I can't remember the name as the perennials. Those kind of form the canvas. I infill with zinnias, marigolds, blackeyed susans, and lantana, all annuals here that add color. That bed is out next to the driveway.

Next to the house in the landscaping beds I go with purely perennials. Mainly evergreen shrubs but have a few lilies and a couple of burning bush. That area is not in great sun plus I want some privacy on my front porch from passing traffic that those shrubs provide.

Scattered around but not in beds I have a lot of iris, peony, daffodils, jonquils, forsythia, spirea, red bud, hawthorn, crab apple, and many fruit trees. My wife's grandfather used to breed iris so they have a special place here. If you have something like Impatiens with a family history I'd definitely include them.

Another thing I'd consider is how are you going to weed them? Weeding can take a lot of pleasure out of the experience. Mulch and heavy shade can be great friends. That shade is one reason I go with the bushes next to the house.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do what Ridge does, plant both perenials and annuals together. This way you are not replacing or redoing the entire bed each year. Impatients are not that expensive and you can buy by the flat here. You should definitely grow them because of your's grandfather's connection that will bring you much joy. If they are expensive in your area and you can't start from seeds indoors then just buy a few to put in pots by your front door or something.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perennials can have very complex and beautiful flowers.

Annuals are about the same in their color impact.

Perennials often harbor perennial weeds. It can be very disheartening, pulling the same weeds again and again because they are entangled in the roots of valued plants.

Steve

Latest posts