Best corn planting, w2hat should I do?

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi all,

I mentioned this question in my garden report thread, but as I was somewhat buried in the mass of that, I want to put it out in the open.

Due to some germination/development issues, it looks like I only have around half to a third of the corn shoots I planned for my field waiting in plugs (yes, I know one ideally plants corn directly, but doing it as plugs lessens the loss due to critters eating the seeds).

Since this is a breeding project (and so "add more corn isn't an option) it seems to me I have two ways to go and I was wondering if anyone could tell me which is preferable.

1. Plant the remaining corn widely spaced out, so as to give each plant or hill maximum space to send out roots.

2. Plant the remaining corn at the distance I would normally, over a much smaller area. This cuts down on the root space, but will probably improve pollination when the tassels come out (with my small space, I have a LOT of trouble will all the pollen blowing over the actual corn and down into the driveway.)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd plant as normal and hand pollinate, especially the upwind side. When the pollen pockets are forming and it is silking, scrape some pollen pockets off of the tassels and put them in among the silks.

agreed, especially if it is a small plot that you are watching closely enough to not miss it.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I suppose that also deals with what happens if all the pollen shows up before silking (which has happened). Scrape freeze and then put it on when the silks do show up.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd plant as normal and hand pollinate, especially the upwind side. When the pollen pockets are forming and it is silking, scrape some pollen pockets off of the tassels and put them in among the silks.
That would be my recommendation as well, unless you are short on space. And since this is a breeding project, I'd recommend using ear & tassel bags as well, if you have some or can buy them locally. I could send you some of both, if you only need a few.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That would be my recommendation as well, unless you are short on space. And since this is a breeding project, I'd recommend using ear & tassel bags as well, if you have some or can buy them locally. I could send you some of both, if you only need a few.
Good idea. Maybe on top of keeping the pollen in, they'll keep the racoons out (planting by plug will deter the squirrels chipmunks and other things that go for the seed in the ground, and the fence should keep the deer away, but the racoons can climb both fence and stalk.

Latest posts