Best/Favorite Cookbooks

NorthCoaster

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I love cookbooks (even though I can't cook) and I would like any recommendations that you might have- especially ones with alot of picture and old "from scratch" books- the older the better- oh and still in print :D

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome, NorthCoaster! I'm glad that you could join us here! :)

Ah, you've hit on one of my favorite things! I do collect cookbooks, but it would be difficult to recommed good ones, especially if they are old, as old, and in print, don't really go well together.

How old is 'old' to you? Seventies? Sixties? Forties?

The way I find old cookbooks, many no longer in print, is to look at every garage sale, look through every old/used book store, and, of course, let's not forget our newest, and excellent source for things like this....eBay! :)

I enjoy photos of food, too, but don't discount ones without them, as they can be great reads. I've found some cool things in small pamphlets put out long ago by companies, or those little paperback cookbooks put together by the ladies auxillary etc.

I like to read the 1950's-60's thin hardbacks, which came in sets. Some are very boring, but others are very cool with fantastic photos of food for pool parties, or kid's meals.

In fact, kid's cookbooks from the 70's back are really nice.....you know what, I should look at my books. Some are packed away, since we moved around (on the same property) but some are back out.

I'll get back to you with some actual titles, but honestly, you want to hit the bookstores and yard sales, and buy what appeals to you! :)

tricia

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This is by no means old, but I have really enjoyed Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. I love the idea of putting veggies into everything. The chocolate chip cookies with garbanzo beans are super yummy! Especially if you use whole wheat flour.

Otherwise, I would suggest Carla Emory. You might be able to find her in re-print.

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My mother's favorite cookbook is the one that came with her wood burning cook stove when she got married, must have been right after WWII was over. I think she still has it and still makes stuff from it, though the wood stove is long gone. I learned to cook in college with Betty Crocker, Better Homes and Gardens and Fanny Farmer. I worked in an organic and vegetarian restaurant for a while in college also and they made a lot of stuff from the Moosewood Cookbook.

bayouchica

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I really enjoy Mildred Swift cookbook.I think my mother got it when she got married in the 50's,not really sure.One of my sisters got it after she died.I've been meaning to get another one.
I love the Chess pie & Boiled cookies,Coconut cream pie... well you get my drift,lol. :gig

kimnkell

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I really love "The Applachian Cookery" cookbook. It has lots of older recipes in and shows pics of the people making some of the food. It's really nice.:)

Texas Fluffy Feet

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I love any of the cookbooks put out by church group or the Ladies Auxiliary Leagues and such. Most of the ones have tons of old standard recipes from peoples families. I know they are time tested and pretty darn tasty!
Yard sales are a great place to find these sorts of books. Usually they are less than a $1. I have found many recipes that are now amoung my families favorites in these books.

Baymen Moe

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My wife has lot's of Taste of Home mags, what a great resource.

One of my favorite books was published in 1996 by JG Press. It's called Picnics, Delicious Food for Moveable Feasts by Louise Pickford.

Tutter, if you like pictures of food you'll love this one.

The southern chicken wings with spicy bbq sauce is a huge hit at my grill.

Bill

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm sorry to have not been here and not yet looked. We're having some pretty bad fires here at the moment.

Thank you for the name, Bill, I'll look it up. I already had my ears perked just at the name! :)

As for barbeque sauce, I'll eat almost anything with barbeque sauce on it! :D

Latest posts