Best Mint for Peppermint Tea

sandyullom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Is there a particular variety of peppermint plant that anyone recommends growing for use in making good tea?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whichever you choose, be careful. There are few things more invasive! All the mints are fun to grow, but best kept in containers! I had a few seeds completely take over a square foot garden. I wouldn't have believed it, if I hadn't pulled it up!

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
mmm.......peppermint tea is my favorite!

Are there different varieties of peppermint out there? I thought peppermint tea just came from peppermint plants................:idunno

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have chocolate mint and pineapple mint.

I love the different varieties.

Mint is great for those areas of the lawn you can't get anything else to grow on.

meriruka1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I too thought peppermint was just peppermint. True peppermint can't be grown from seed (it's sterile) only from cuttings. I've tried other types of mints, but for tea peppermint is the best.
I planted mine and surrounded it with bricks to keep it contained. It moves around in the bricked in area, but it doesn't get loose in the yard.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would try a few... why not!

I would suggest peppermint, spearmint, and chocolate mint... maybe even lemon mint! Is there an orange mint? I would love a tea mixed with orange mint and chocolate mint if there is!

Maybe I should try mint this year!?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem said:
I would try a few... why not!

I would suggest peppermint, spearmint, and chocolate mint... maybe even lemon mint! Is there an orange mint? I would love a tea mixed with orange mint and chocolate mint if there is!

Maybe I should try mint this year!?
Richters has an orange mint, Vfem.

I like spearmint but I don't have a plant. Funny, because I've got all these other mints that I don't care much about in teas.

Spearmint is good with chamomile . . . but, I have trouble growing chamomile :/, too. I suppose that I could grow the one and BUY the other :rolleyes:!

My favorite "mint" for tea isn't a mint: licorice mint (anise hyssop) :). I think I'll go make a cup ;) right now . . .

Steve

Latest posts