Best Power Tool For Removing Rust

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am playing with the idea of painting truck myself. Before priming all the rust needs to be taken off. I would guess a belt sander would be best choice, they go from 11 to 2 Amp what would I need to get job done? What about a angle grinder?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It shows strength of character when you can resist temptation. Sometimes I'm OK with that but not this morning. :hide

Come on now @thistlebloom , show some respect. This I Alex we are talking about. What could go wrong?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sand blaster using something very soft like walnut shells. Not sand as you will eat right through metal.

You won't get all the rust off, just the excess. Then you have to use a rust retardant primer. If there are holes in body, have to weld metal in place, then grind smooth, fill in pits with (old days bondo) whatever parts house recommends as I'm sure they have better recommendations now. There will be a LOT of hand sanding with rough to fine to super fine water sand paper. It's a LOT of work. Not to be u kind, but I doubt you have the time or patience for it. I didn't.

Last edited:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
no no no.. no power tools look at your photo of the tail gate in truck update it needs to be tig welded and a shelve installed , the passenger door needs to have an area cut out and new metal tig welded in... the cab and bed need to be remove and blasted and primed and painted.. let the professional do and do it right... if you do it right you will get more at a auction than you put into.....

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
That ship-getting more at auction than he has in it-has already sailed. IMO. Bite the bullet, fix it up, and enjoy it. You can't take your $$ with you and no one to leave it to. You made it, enjoy it.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Or do an American Picker on it. Fix it mechanically and drive a rust bucket......
Here's a photo of the "rust bucket" I drive every day.
Pulled it out of my pop's woods, put new brakes on, cleaned fuel system, new tires and away we go!!!
Been driving it almost every day since 2011.
My pop quit driving her in 1990, she sat til '11, installed a battery, some fresh fuel and haven't looked back..
DSCN1067.JPG

Here's my parts truck
DSCF2090.JPG

THANX RICH