best pressure canner for a beginner?

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion for the best pressure canner for me, a beginner?

I won't be canning a TON so something smallish would be good

I was reading some reviews on Amazon - they say that the Fagor brand, since it's made in Spain, doesn't get quite hot enough...so confusing! :/

Just wondering!

LindaN

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Can you link to that thread on BYC? I want to get a pressure canner this year, too, and would love to get some advice on brands.

sht4luck

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have not canned yet.. But some friends did and they said they use to do it in the dish washer. never heard of that but it seems like it would work. anyone else try this.

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Love my Presto canner. Very dependable. Family from our city started the business.

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
sht4luck said:
I have not canned yet.. But some friends did and they said they use to do it in the dish washer. never heard of that but it seems like it would work. anyone else try this.
Do you think that maybe they ment they steralized the jars in the dishwasher? I have read that folks do that, but not canning in one.

I have 2 presto canners and wish I had 2 more.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
rockytopsis said:
sht4luck said:
Do you think that maybe they ment they steralized the jars in the dishwasher? I have read that folks do that, but not canning in one.

I have 2 presto canners and wish I had 2 more.
I would hope they meant they just preheated/sterilized the jars in the dishwasher.

I can imagine people actually using the dishwasher instead of a waterbath, to actually *can*, though. It would be a really bad idea, though, food safety wise. It would be an EXTRA super-duper major really bad idea if you're using it for things that ought to be done in a pressure canner rather than just a water bath.

People do do funny things, though, and it doesn't always kill them first time out :p

Pat

katz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I would not take a chance as that's wasted food and a lot of wasted work & time from you IF the process fails :/
Get a Mirror Pressure Canner, I bought a 8QT. from garage sale for $10.00 .

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I know this has nothing to do with pressure caners, but Katz I would like to thank you for replying to this post.

I drowned my old computer and lost a lot of things. In trying to remember all the things I had saved I did not remember this site and it was one of the ones I read daily during the growing season. It just slipped my mind.

Anyway my brain got in gear and I now have this back in my garden folder.

Thanks again Katz

Nancy

Latest posts