best steak you ever grilled

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now we have all purchased what we thought was great looking steaks and after grilling them you needed a chainsaw to cut them, and you wonder why after having the boss over for dinner you got passed over for that promotion
Try dry aging the steaks for 5-7 days in the fridge before grilling in Saint Louis a cut of aged beef dinner will cost you $ 40-50 thats highway robbery.
Heres how to do it at home without buying a 50,000 aging cabinet

Found a great web site that can explain it all better than me typing it.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/01/the-food-lab-dry-age-beef-at-home.html

and heres Alton browns video short version of doing it as well..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4aI_O8kcN8

either way the only thing you need to season it with is salt and pepper for the perfect steak.
Try dry aging one and one right on the grill .. Bet you vote for the dry aged one..

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The article said that there was no discernible difference between zero & 5 day aged steak. The 7 day aged ones were stale & had a refrigerator smell, and the 9 day old steaks were already tossed out with the risk of food borne illness.

I've had dry aged steak before & it lived up to the hype. However I think I'll save my $ and leave it to the experts.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I want to figure out how to make Alton Brown's charcoal broiler :p. I've already got the concrete block!

It reminds me of my experiment years ago making pastrami. I like pastrami and have bought halves of beef at times. There's the brisket . . . . the temptation got the best of me and it came out okay.

Now, this is surprising because my attempts at sauerkraut, pickles; as well as me running Dad's smoker for sausage -- all that was less than satisfactory. In fact, the sauerkraut was dumped and I can't remember whether I ate all the pickles out of a couple of batches. With that kind of track record . . .

You know, it might have been better for me to go the corned beef route with brisket. Still, with that kind of track record . . .:rolleyes:.

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Major, that steak that you had to use a chainsaw on was most likely a " grass fed " and or "organic" of the dairy animal persuasion . I buy my beef from a neighbor that produces about 300 head of beef ( Hereford x Beefmaster x Angus terminal crosses ) / year on his 5,000 acre ranch just about a mile from us. I get to get my pick from his feedlot, where they are finished for 90-120 days, depending on the weather grass growing conditions ,and fed corn, wheat, and barley with alfalfa hay . then I butcher it myself, and hang it in the cooler for 21 days ( butchers usually hang beef between 11- 16 days which is not long enough ) to properly tenderize the meat. Talk about tender and tasty ! :drool

Latest posts