Best Sunflowers? NEW QUESTION post #9

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting that the fences are 3' apart. That does not sound like it is enough for a utility easement. You might want to find out who owns that land and if there are any restrictions on it. I doubt anyone would have problems with sunflowers on it, but someone could come in and destroy all you have done at any time if it is not your land or there are restrictions. I'd likely do it anyway and take that risk but I'd talk to people first if it is not my land.

I would not think seed tape would be the best way to go for sunflowers. The seeds are big enough that you can sow them without too much problem. Seed tapes are usually used for carrots, radishes, lettuce, something that has tiny seeds and you can't get the spacing you need by other methods.

An area 3 feet wide is not very much room to use a shovel or turning fork. I'd think a more passive way of preparing it would be more what I'd try. It's a shame you can't just turn your chickens loose in there. They would certainly prepare it for you and have a great time doing it. I like the idea of spreading several layers of newspaper or cardboard on it, then topping it with a mulch to hold it in place. Do you have access to wood chips, maybe talk to a utility company to see if they are trimming trees in your area any time soon. Sometimes they like a place close by to dispose of their woodchips after grinding them instead of having to haul them away long distances and paying for an area to put them in. Maybe your city or county would be another source. Call whoever trims the trees.

I'm not sure how many plants you are talking about to make your 60 foot long screen. Maybe Steve can correct me if he has other suggestions, but I'd think maybe two rows of sunflowers he suggested, planted with rows about 18" apart down the middle of the 3' width, staggering the sunflowers in the rows to give better coverage. Assuming you put them about 2' apart in each row, with two rows you are talking about 60 plants. If 18" apart, 80 plants. Can you possibly start that many sunflowers indoors if you want to get a bit of a start or plant a bed of them for transplant after it warms up outside. IfI remember right, sunflowers need warm soil to germinate.

So, what I am thinking. Do not turn the soil or work it. Clay is really a pain if you work it wet and I don't think you need to. Put down a thick layer of newspaper and cover it with mulch. Start your sunflowers separately and, when the weather is right and the transplants are big enough, punch a hole in the mulch and newspaper and plant your sunflower transplants. Then pull the newspaper and mulch fairly tightly around the transplants. You'll probably still get some grass coming up through the holes you stuck the sunflowers in, but if you pull that out when it is fairly young and add more newspaper and mulch you should be able to keep it reasonable. Just get it soon after you see it or it will try to take over.

Anyway, there are lots of different ways of handling it. Just another suggestion. Good luck however you decide.

SarahFair

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for all the information!
I have a HUGE pile of woodchips I use in my chicken coop (purks of having a SO that is a logger :) )

If I start the sunflowers in pods inside and I poke through the mulch/newpaper that is about 8"+/- should I dig into the soil at all or should I spread the mulch away from the the plant and put it in actual ground?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd put it in the actual ground, both to anchor it and help make sure it did not dry out. And I was thinking more in terms of two or three inches of mulch, not 8". The mulch is mainly to hold the newspaper in place and keep it damp so rainwater will soak through it. If it dries out, it will repel rainwater until it gets wet.

I know I said thick layer, but I usually use about two or three thicknesses of newspaper when I mulch like this. That thickness does a pretty good job of keeping the grass and weeds from coming through. Too thick and it could keep air out of the soil.

This worked for peppers, tomatoes, eggplants, and beans. I don't see why it won't work for sunflowers.

SarahFair

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ohh ok. I was getting the idea that it had to be like a foot thick! :ep
lol

SO means significant other..
Were not married (yet) but hes my life partner. I have been with him so many years I feel silly calling him my "boyfriend"

Latest posts